It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About brakes....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2000 6:04 pm 

What are the dfferences between a 6SL and 26L brake systems?I've been told that the 6SL was a pain to work with.<br>

skeezix@ns.sympatico.ca

Post subject: Re: About brakes....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2000 5:22 am 

6SL means a locomotive brake schedule using a #6 distributing valve with accessories for diesel switching locomotives.<p>Probably depends on which version of the #6 distribution valve is being used. The #6 began back before WWI for stam locomotives and then used for electric and diesel locomotives. Later versions used diaphrams, etc instead of brass-on-brass slides.<p>Brian Norden<br>

bnorden@gateway.net

Post subject: Re: About brakes....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2000 2:30 am 

Never used 6SL but it shouldn't be too dissimilar to 6ET or K14 one would think. Regarding the pain in the ass to use, it is just a matter of learning to use the technology. Partial releases are not possible, and the trainline must be recharged on long grades by ping - ponging (ask Jack Anderson to explain) which can make for a busy engineer.<p>Jack has found a way to adapt for partial release, and D&S has run a straight air line down their trains in addition to the reduction air to vary the braking pressure without constant releasing and resetting. <p>26L is very easy to use and therefore i don't have any. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: 6SL brakes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2000 3:21 pm 

I'm not an authority on the subject, but I'm going to put in my two-cents worth anyway. What the heck. First, the "ET" in 6-ET stands for "Engine and Tender", which is a direct reference to its use on steam locomotives. It typically consists of an H-6 automatic brake valve and an S-6 independent, which are mounted separately. The 6-SL differs from the 6-ET in that it uses a self-lapping independent brake valve (hence the "SL") in conjunction with the H-6 automatic. The 6-ET evolved into the 14-EL ("Electric Locomotive"), where the S-6 type independent was mounted directly onto the H-6 automatic's body in a staggered arrangement. These were followed by the 8-SL, 24, and 26. The 26, with it's self-lapping automatic brake valve, is truly simple in design and operation. I believe anyone can sit behind a 26 and learn to use it as quickly as learning to drive a car with an automatic transmission. But, I also believe that those who learn on the 26 don't always comprehend everything that's occuring in the brake system, as you would if you learned on a No. 6 brake. To operate the No. 6 effectively, you really have to understand the function of each brake valve position. Years ago, during the startup of a new shortline operation, I had the daunting task of teaching some persons hired right off the street with no railroad experience how to run Geeps with 24-RL brakes. Several years after that, we exchanged the Geeps for rebuilt SW9's which sported 26 brakes. I subsequently had to teach employees promoted to engine service how to use the 26. The engineers who learned on the 26 were good, but the older hoggers were smoother, as they really understood what was going on. Given my druthers, I'd choose a locomotive with No. 6 over a 26 anyday. But then, I always was a sucker for ancient history.<p>Brian Wise<br>

thewises@apex.net