It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ALCO truck question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2000 1:25 am 

I have a question about the ALCO "Blunt" trucks on the early "S" series switchers. From what I've been told, the wheel size is unique to the early "S" model. Is this true? Or are the wheels interchangeable with ones from a GE, such as a 44, 70, or 90 tonner? Has anyone ever converted a "blunt" to roller bearings?<p>What it comes down to is a local engine begging to be preserved, but ALL the flanges have been condemed. Any info is appreciated.<p>Dave<br>

Brownie.23@gateway.net

Post subject: Re: ALCO truck question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2000 7:38 pm 

Dave,Blunt trucks have been converted to roller <br>bearings.Weirton Steel converted their Alco "S" models to roller bearings,but they are no longer using them ,they went to EMD SW1500's or MP15's.<br>I don't know if this is of any help,but maybe you could get in touch with their maintenance personel.<br>

jjpfeil@worldnet.att.net

Post subject: Re: ALCO truck question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2000 8:54 pm 

We have an S-1 with converted roller bearing trucks at the Whitewater Valley Railroad in Connersville, IN (about 45 minutes ne of Cincinnati). You're welcome to inspect these. Also we have two extra Blunt trucks (plain bearings) should you want to inspect how they go together, need parts, etc. CSXT has a tariff for plain bearing engines and they can still be moved by rail if you talk to the top people first. Check into this before going to all the trouble of the roller bearing route, you may just need wheel sets.<p>David Farlow<br>Whitewater Valley Railroad<br>

rfarlow@bcaconsultants.com

Post subject: roller bearings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2000 7:57 pm 

Are the converted axles ALCO? Or have the trucks been modified to accept axles from a EMD or GE? Is it possible to put EMD or GE axles into the "blunt" truck?<p>THANKS!!<p>DB<br>

brownie.23@gateway.net

Post subject: Re: roller bearings
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2000 12:13 am 

When making these kind of modifications, dimensional data is much more important than brand name. People at ORX and other wheel / axle shops can make up nearly any combination of axle and wheel groups. If buying used scrap sets, the dimensional data is all that matters, and condition obviously. The system used in our set is a rotating end cap. I would be glad to email a photo of how this looks if anyone would like as I am not sure how to post it here.<p>David Farlow<p><br><br>

rfarlow@bcaconsultants.com

Post subject: Re: roller bearings
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2000 3:09 am 

Several years ago I converted a S-2 from friction to roller bearings with the help of a contractor. As far as using other wheelsets the dimensions are the determining factor due to bearing end play for the friction bearings, and for determining the location of the roller bearings. If you want additional information send me an e-mail.<br>

martinlk@hiwaay.net