It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RR Museum of Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2000 12:09 pm 

Was just taking a look at their website and found this picture of the entire museum. Does anyone know which building is the new restoration shop? I'm guessing the smaller building attached to the rear of the main building to the far right, but then what is the small building just above the turntable? Just curious because I've heard before how the museum might want to build a roundhouse in the future and I would think that the smaller building would be in the way.<p>Dave :)<br>

davelecount@juno.com

Post subject: Re: RR Museum of Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2000 11:12 pm 

Dave,<p>The new restoration shop is the building to the rear of the rolling stock halls. The other building--a Butler type building--is/was the temporary restoration shop put up a few years back.<p>Regards,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

Post subject: Re: RR Museum of Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2000 9:22 am 

The temporary shed to which you refer was erected in the summer of 1995 for asbestos abatement of the PRR locomotives. Although it has not yet been used for that purpose, it was used initially by paid and non-paid staff to work on the C&PA wooden snowplow out of the elements (prior to the construction of the new shop), and later as a place to "cocoon" the PRR class ND cabin car and the B&S wooden buffet-coach #35. At some point, probably when the asbestos abatement work has been completed on the PRR engines, it may come down for good. As for the roundhouse plans, nothing official has been announced, but the Museum is indeed interested in erecting such a structure. The roundhouse has not yet been "officially" designed, funded or even proposed, so I cannot give you an idea of what exactly it will be. One idea that has been tossed about would be to recreate the PRR Historical Collection as it was at the PRR's Northumberland, Pa., roundhouse in the 50's and 60's. If additional funding can be secured for such a project it would most likely be tied to exhibits money; new comprehensive thematic exhibits are currently in development for the Rolling Stock Hall and slated for installation in 2003. Governor Tom Ridge will be visiting the Museum on Sept. 18, to help dedicate the new Railway Learning Center, and the outdoor yard trackage is slated for replacement and partial realignment very shortly. Stay tuned! <br>

Kurtrbell@hotmail.com

Post subject: Recreate Northumberland?The Ultimate Irony
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2000 8:40 am 

Interesting that RRM of Pa folks are thinking about re-creating the Northumberland roundhouse facility at Strasburg, especially since those that were in power at the time laughed at me when I suggested the REAL Northumberland facility might be saved as a museum in the 1980s...<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Recreate Northumberland?The Ultimate Irony
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 12:02 am 

Not a chance of that, Bob. It was in a flood plain; it had awkward access, surrounded by active rail facilities and over a mile from the nearest road crossing; and it was deteriorated cast concrete and glass-block. Don't think it wasn't thought through.<br>

LNER4472@gateway.net