It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My vacation and some questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:23 am 

Just got back from the Vacation from Hell to Philly and Cape May. It had its high points, but the rain and traffic plus a few other assorted problems made much of it less than pleasant.

I drove up to Dad's in Delaware County PA last Tuesday. I was just leaving Lancaster on Route 30 when the Atlantic Ocean got dumped on me, followed by the Pacific, Carribean, all five Great Lakes, and a few other seas besides. Next day was, of course, beautiful, so I went to Strasburg and rode the Marian. The corn maze was closed, said the guy on the PA, because they had "a little rain last night." I rode the Cagney and also determined that I don't want a hand-pump car at SCRM after all.

For the Strasburg guys, I have a couple questions:

What kind of journal bearings do your coaches use? Are they really friction bearing as they appear to be, or have you guys slipped rollers under those journal box covers?

What type of brakes do the coaches have?

I also have a few Q's about y'all's runaround moves. I noticed that you bottle the air in the train while running around. I assume this is to avoid the bang of dynamiting and to speed pumping back up -- any other reason? How much of an air brake application do you use to hold the train while making the runaround? I didn't notice anyone setting any hand brakes for the runaround move, do you do this? Do you still have to do a brake test each time you couple up? I couldn't really tell if the crew did a set and release at Paradise or not, and didn't pay attention at East Strasburg. BTW, my compliments to your engineers, they're very good at making nice, soft couplings.

Friday was Hersheypark. The train has been "opened up" a lot with addition of the new coaster Storm Runner (one helluva ride, BTW). I got a number of NICE shots that didn't used to be possible. Both Crowns were running and putting on a GREAT show on the hill coming into the station. One of them seems to steam a little wetter than the other. It might be because Janelle has a longer train to pull than Skooter.

Saturday we headed to Cape May. I took a solo ride on the Budd car on Sunday afternoon. The whole family was going to ride Monday, but the RR shut down early due to a lack of pax so we went to Wildwood instead. We took our ride on Tuesday. They were having some sort of a problem with the M-407, apparently something was leaking around the compressor. I'd be interested in knowing just what the problem was out of curiosity. I looked under the car when we got back to Cape May -- I could hear something pissing air, but couldn't quite see where the leak was.

Overall, the trip was relaxing, even if it was marred by the horrendous traffic and all that wetness. I would have preferred more trains and less beach (it'd be real nice if the CMSL had more than three trips), but I guess it was overall a positive experience.

The South Carolina Railroad Museum
mconrad@msmgmt.com

Post subject: Re: My vacation and some questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:27 am 

Matt,

Glad you enjoyed parts of your trip to this area. The traffic in and around Philadelphia is fantastic, isn't it?! We have our company picnic at Hersheypark this Saturday. Looking forward to riding stormrunner.

Mark

markoles@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:52 am 

“What kind of journal bearings do your coaches use? Are they really friction bearing as they appear to be, or have you guys slipped rollers under those journal box covers?”

Yes, they are all 5x9 plain bearings.

“What type of brakes do the coaches have?”

Westinghouse P-2 valves.

“I also have a few Q's about y'all's runaround moves. I noticed that you bottle the air in the train while running around. I assume this is to avoid the bang of dynamiting and to speed pumping back up -- any other reason?”

Nope, no other reason, it saves wear and tear all the way around.

“How much of an air brake application do you use to hold the train while making the runaround?”

A twenty pound application is standard.

“I didn't notice anyone setting any hand brakes for the runaround move, do you do this?”

No, we donÂ’t feel that it is necessary due to the almost level nature of our terminals, combined with the short time that the engine is uncoupled. P valves are not prone to self release when the air is bottled like AB valves do. Overnight, the train is chocked, and a handbrake set.

“Do you still have to do a brake test each time you couple up?”

Yes, it is required by the FRA.

SRC Mechanical Dept.
kelly@strasburgrailroad.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:12 am 

> Westinghouse P-2 valves.

That's a brake valve I'm not familiar with. I know a LITTLE about K, UC, D-22, and the various AB valves, but I've never heard of P-2s. Are these a modern valve or something ancient to match the old coaches?

> No, we donÂ’t feel that it is necessary due
> to the almost level nature of our terminals,
> combined with the short time that the engine
> is uncoupled. P valves are not prone to self
> release when the air is bottled like AB
> valves do. Overnight, the train is chocked,
> and a handbrake set.

OK, the real reason I asked this is it looks as if SCRM will finally be able to run around our train in the near future -- we just got another TEA-21 grant for track work in Rion. Our track is nothing remotely resembling flat anywhere, and most of our equipment has D-22 brakes with a few AB valves thrown in (on the cabooses). Would y'all recommend bottling the air in such a situation?

The South Carolina Railroad Museum
mconrad@msmgmt.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:57 am 

P-2 is the passenger equivalent to the K-2 freight car valve, and they are original equipment on our cars.

Bottling the air with AB brakes is a definite no-no. I donÂ’t know about D-22. Regardless, if your terminal has a grade, and you are not certain about the performance of your brakes, you must dump the air, and set the hand brakes.

SRC Mechanical Dept.
kelly@strasburgrailroad.com

Post subject: Runaround on Grade
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:48 pm 

> Regardless, if your terminal has a grade,
> and you are not certain about the
> performance of your brakes, you must dump
> the air, and set the hand brakes.

Here at the Loop we bleed the air off and set 1-3 hand brakes (on a nine-car train) before cutting the engine off for the runaround. What type of brake valves we have, I know not. Phil Reader can probably enlighten us on that.

Natasha Bettis
GLRR Fireman, Engineer Trainee

71446975@quixnet.net

Post subject: Re: Runaround on Grade
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:15 pm 

They were K or plain when I was there.

Matt, bear in mind that level track at Georgetown Loop is 2%. Has made for some exciting switching.

dave

> Here at the Loop we bleed the air off and
> set 1-3 hand brakes (on a nine-car train)
> before cutting the engine off for the
> runaround. What type of brake valves we
> have, I know not. Phil Reader can probably
> enlighten us on that.

> Natasha Bettis
> GLRR Fireman, Engineer Trainee

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:40 pm 

I used to do a runaround on a 4% grade with a train consisting of four CNJ steel coaches. We dumped the air, set the bottom two handbrakes, and chocked the wheels before cutting off the engine Never had a problem-

> They were K or plain when I was there.

> Matt, bear in mind that level track at
> Georgetown Loop is 2%. Has made for some
> exciting switching.

> dave

edm5970@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:03 pm 

We found out the hard way which way the yards slope in North Bay (ONR) and Brownville Jct ME. Fortunately caught them both before it became reportable!

tramways@canada.com