It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: spv 2000 Budd
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2000 4:47 pm 

Does anyone know what happened to the spv 2000 rdc car left at the budd redlion (philadelphia) plat? Last I heard it was still there, but plant was to removed for a golf course. <p>I would also like an update on the status of the spv-2000 cars (2 or 3) metro north has or had on the lot at croton, ny.<br>

buddrdc@hotmaul.com

Post subject: Re: spv 2000 Budd
PostPosted: Tue Feb 29, 2000 1:08 am 

If I recall correctly, the demonstrator and the ten purchased by ConnDOT for Amtrak service all ended up at Mechtron/Delaware Car Co. near the Wilmington PRR station. They were supposedly being rebuilt as unpowered coaches for ConnDOT. This was in the mid-1980s, and as far as I know some might still be on the property.<br>

LNER4472@gateway.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 29, 2000 6:54 pm 

Thank you for reply.<br>I recently found a message posted on a discussion board that stated a man flew from Arizona to see Budd's Red Lion plant. The guard took pity and let him in. He said the original demonstrator was there outside in sad shape and the building was soon to be demolished to make a golf course. This trip was in 1998. <br>I was hoping someone could give for info on this development. Could it still be there? What happened?<br>Could you direct me to a Budd website or Philly website so someone might know?<br>Thank you<br>joe<br>

buddrdc@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 29, 2000 7:51 pm 

Is this the unit that was fitted with a high-speed nose? Was it left at the site completed, or was it never finished? A 20 year Budd frame would still be road-worthy, and it would make a logical conversion to a CONNDOT "Constitution Liner" (their moniker for de-powered SPV 2000's). In addition, because this unit was one of Budd's last attempts to develop the domestic market, it would also be historic. Lets hope it is still out there, in least some form.<p>Also, I there are pictures of FRAÂ’s test car T-16 at:<br>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=989936&a=8882761<p>This car is a converted Metroliner as evidenced by the distinctive ends and the trucks. Did the FRA retire their SPV-2000? <p>Thanks,<p>Tom<p>

FRA T-16

Post subject: A little Research . . .
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2000 4:48 am 

From the Railroad.net Pennsylvania Railfan Forum, see the last entry. The question remains, however, has the car been scrapped yet?<p>Tom<br>

Pennsylvania Railfan Forum

Post subject: Re: A little Research . . .
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2000 7:14 am 

Tom,<br>Yes, I have the messages you posted. That is what started this quest, but too late I'm sure.<p>I sent an email to the message poster who made the pilgrimage to red lion but it was returned.<p>I wanted to ask the same question about the nose.<br>I also do not know if it has the trucks or is just a shell. I remember in one of the budd books, Duke is the author, he mentioned something about budd leaving behind unfinished shells when the plant closed.<br>My interest is preservation, but my friend who pointed me in this direction has the resources to do something about it if I can find it. He contacted the red lion owners a few years ago and asked to buy it. The people told him a million dollars!<br>Now it is scrapped? It does not make sense. I will drive to philly within two week get in if there still is a building or fence. Someone from philly must know!<br>The only other spv-2000's two or three I think are on the croton metro north dead track. I asked the danbury rail museum people why they do not have it and they said there is a lien on the cars!!<br>Thank you so much for your help. I will post any information I find. I guess I have a mission now.<br>joe<br><br>

buddrdc@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: A little Research . . .sadly, the SPV-2000 is no more.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2000 10:25 am 

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania inquired about the possible acquisition of the Budd SPV-2000 in the mid-1990's. At that time, the unit was stored indoors at the Red Lion, Pa. plant. A return trip to Bombardier Corp. in Bensalem, Pa., (the subsequent owners of Budd's assets) this summer revealed that the SPV-2000 had been scrapped sometime in 1999. None of the parties interested in the unit were able to commit resources toward its preservation. The final push to dispose of the unit came with the demolition of the Red Lion plant last year. With no takers, the scrappers moved in for the kill. A sad ending to an otherwise historic vehicle. <br>

Post subject: Re: A little Research . . .FRA T-10 Still Alive
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 1:23 am 

From Trainorders.com, this car is currently touring northern California. A later poster reports that this was the 8th SPV built, and that 13 shells were never completed. <p>Tom<p>Photo from David Epling at http://cencalrails.railfan.net/frat10.jpg via trainorders.com<br>