It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIRR #35 G5s 4-6-0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2000 2:51 am 

Is this locomotive actively being rebuilt for operation? The last I saw of the groups website, she was still in pieces, which makes me a little nervous. Perhaps the groups website might do well to regularly update progress if the loco is being serviced. Please bring me up to speed on this important steam locomotive. How about sister loco #39? How close is she to being fired up and moved under her own power?<br><br>

Post subject: Don't hold your breath
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2000 6:06 am 

Don't expect to see steam on Long Island anytime soon. These engines have been under restoration for 30 years. <p>Combustion Engineering donated a full set of boiler tubes to one of these outfits only to have the tubes sit and rot. This totally screwed up the donation picture for other steam operators who could have put a set of tubes to good use. Combustion Engineering is a leading boiler company and to make good use of a donation like that could have opened doors but instead they dropped the ball and that chance might not ever happen again.<br>

Post subject: Re: Don't hold your breath
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 4:59 am 

Engine #39 received new flues and tubes from Combustion Engineering 10 years ago and they have been stored inside since then. There condition is as good as when they were donated. 6 years ago the Railroad Museum of Long Island received approval for a ISTEA grant to restore #39. Finally work may begin to get #39 in operating condition.<br>