It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ford Stephenson "Rocket" replica up for auctio
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:33 pm 

Let me respond to the last post in reverse order

In re:

“If you do not like some piece of equipment remaining out of doors- donate the entire funds of restoration, transort and housing to a museum of your choice.â€

Post subject: D&M CAR --- Pros and Cons
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:08 pm 

Tom-
While I agree on some points, I disagree on others. There have been some choices "The Ford" made that are to be questioned, for sure ---- including removing the one of only two surviving Peter Witt cars of Detroit heritage to IRM (nothing against IRM, but IMHO the car belongs IN MICHIGAN, not Illinois; the only other survivor of those is now just a rusted out carbody in Worthington, Ohio) --- but to say that they have never consulted Michigan institutions is just plain wrong. The fact of the matter is that there were very few if any places that could take the car in its condition, and GUARANTEE its maintenance --- our museum included (the fact that it is a car not within our own mission statement withstanding).
If you REALLY look at it Tom, and if you know of the museums in state, I can count MAYBE on one hand those who could gaurantee a wood cars long term preservation --- and many of them (Us) have had budgets slashed, and are increasingly being asked to more with less. Taking on another expensive to maintain piece of equipment without a VERY set plan for it restoration, maintenace AND upkeep make little sense. To me its amazing in particular how much that last "upkeep" portion is forgotton --- ask the people of Grant, Michigan how the last surving wooden water tower in its original location in the State of Michigan is after being restored 20 years ago and now is need of it again; or the Ohio Railway Museum about putting money into NS Excursions instead of a building a place to house their collection, or do something other then tarp rusting equipment. Both groups now have fresh blood who are desperatly trying to figure out how they got into the situation they are now in, and have little answers for getting out of, financial or otherwise.
I applaud " The Henry Ford" for having the guts to look at their collection intensly and trying to focus more on what they should and shouldn't have within their collection --- I wish more museums would. Doesn't mean I agree within some of their deaccession decisions --- but as one person mentioned, they were EQUALLY attacked for many years for not moving items to other facilities that had NOTHING to do with their mission and collecting policy.
If you wish to discuss this more feel fre to email me offline.

TJ

Post subject: Please read my statements carefully
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:37 pm 

Everyone - Please read what I wrote very carefully in my last two posts: I am looking for specific information on the course events leading up to the transfer of the car to New Jersey. While I think this car leaving the state and region was a bad thing, I am not making a judgement on Ford museum or anybody else as I do not have all the facts. * Please do not jump to conclusions as to the nature of my inquiry. *

Yes, I am aware of the challenges and costs of caring for equipment over the long term and yes I am aware of the state of railroad preservation in Michigan. However - I am still looking for specific facts in relation to how the Ford museum procedded with deaccessioning the D&M baggage, the D&M wood business car, and PRR wood coach.

Post subject: MI wood cars
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:57 pm 

Tom, in no way was I flaming you, if you are insinuating that. I just wanted to give The Henry Ford a word in edgewise.

If you are aching to see Michigan cars, I suggest Mid-Continent in North Freedom, WI. Their newly restored Copper Range car is beyond a work of beauty. Even though it is in WI with a number of other Copper Range equipment, I do not lament that it is out of the state. One walk through that car barn at North Freedom is breathtaking and their ablities at preservation is more than evident. It's very encouraging to see a focus on rolling stock and varnish.

Post subject: Auction Results
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:22 pm 

Well, the Rocket went for $42,000 plus the buyer's premium, which I believe was 15%. I know for a fact that CSRM made a legitimate attempt, but two others kept on going. Anyone know who won?

Steve Zuiderveen