It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abandoned ROWs in WA?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 5:31 pm 

Been in Seattle just over two months now. Haven't really had a chance to do much sight seeing. But, today drove out to Leavonworth for some really touristy beer bust or something.<p>Regardless, driving home, westbound on Hwy 2, coming down the west slope of Stephens pass, off to the right on the far side of a valley looked like what might be an abandoned right-of-way, on the side of a very steep slope, and a massive, derelict, snowshed(?). <p>I know there was a structure of some sort there, and is was definitely collapsed in places. Is it an abaondoned ROW? And, if so, what RR? And if not, what the heck is it?<p>Thanks.

Railway Preservation News
hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Abandoned ROWs in WA?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 9:39 pm 

Hume - that is a large outdoor privy constructed for use of a logging camp, Now an EPA superfund site.<p>Go see Jack Anderson and have fun.<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 3:46 am 

Hume:<p>It is the old Great Northen right of way though the destroyed town of Wellington. (I think that is the name of the town). The tracks use to follow the mountain side through the snow sheads and up through a tunnel that is about three miles long if I remember correctly. If you get off Hwy 2 at the top of the pass, there is a side road that you can take to get to the old tunnell. It is still, or was open, when I saw it in the early 1990's. This road contines down the hill and is the road that goes over the west portal of Cascade tunnel. Last time I was there, there was a wash out in this road between the portal and the old tunnel. To get to the old tunnel, you have to get off and take a dirt road for a little while and then hike about 100 yards or so. <br>As for Wellington, <br>

bhthompson@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 3:50 am 

Sorry, hit the wrong button.<p>As for Wellington, it use to be a helper station on the GN. It was wiped out in the early 1900's by a avalanche. A buch of people were killed as the entire town was covered in snow.<p>I know that there are articles and books that mention Wellington, but I cannot remember where I have seen them.<p>By the way, he is right. Go see Jack Anderson and the Mr. Rainier Scenic. It may be the best steam show west of the rockies.<p>Brandon<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 5:13 am 

Here is a link to a cite that has more information on Wellington. Click on the link abouth the avalanche. I posted the like twice because I am not sure the URL link will work.<p>Brandon<p><br>http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/4510/index.html<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 3:46 pm 

Thanks for the info and the link:)<br>

hkading@rypn.org