It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michigan hangar fire
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:28 pm 

These people must be heartbroken. Anything further on the cause? I suspect combustibles, as their planes were flyable. Just as bad, they lost their historic hangar also. Somehow, planes hung in a modern building (or a RR backshop) just aren't the same as a genuine old hangar.

http://www.freep.com/news/mich/willowru ... 041011.htm

Post subject: Re: Michigan hangar fire
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:17 pm 

As a long time volunteer at the B&O Museum prior to the roof collapse of 2003, who is also a devotee of historic aircraft, I can totally sympathize with their plight and grieve for their losses. From what I read, at least they managed to save several of their most historic pieces, and like the B&O disaster, several other pieces were out of harms way when tragedy struck. I have been aware of this museum for quite some time, and am glad that they managed to save what they did. I was very upset when the Ford built B-24 that they tried to get for so long went to the American Air Museum at Duxford, England instead.

I know that many people on this board do not share my reverence for historic aircraft, but as preservationists we must all realize the treasure of our American heritage that has been lost.

Post subject: Re: Michigan hangar fire
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:43 pm 

To say this is devasting is an understatement.

When I heard about this, I'm not afraid to say I openly wept. Having been to this museum numerous times, as well as knowing colleagues there, how hard they have worked..... UGH. We too suffered a fire in our history, and came back. Arguabley, the quick-thinking of some of the volunteers and staff there saved some priceless pieces to be sure, but the loss of the hangar itself, one that truly "built the bombers that beat the Nazi's", is heart-wreching. It was just one heck of a neat structure.

If I hear anything more, I'll let you know. The guys at MTM work with the air museum at Selfridge regularly as well -- I'll try and get some updates there.

TJ