It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N&W 4-6-2 587
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:32 pm 

Anyone want to speculate where the Norfolk & Western 587 may go since Ohio Railway museum is letting it go?Maybe Roanoke or Spencer?

Post subject: Re: N&W 4-6-2 587
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:19 am 

Wouldn't it be nice operating on Ohio Central?

dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:55 am 

Hello All

I'm sure Ohio Central would be a good home, and I would not be suprised if those in charge at the OC have expressed interest in the 587 long before this news. I have nothing against OC, I really enjoyed Trainfest, and they're probably the only group that could restore the engine to operation in the forseeable future, if that was indeed possible. They're a class act that could do well with the engine. OC is a great place if you subscribe to the "its best if it runs" theory. However, I don't know if the engine could really be intereprted to any real extent or apprciated by the general population, who might see it only as an OC engine (even if restored as an N&W piece).

On the other hand, I liked the train pavilion at VRM in Roanoke, the 1218 and 611 looked fantastic, but I wasn't very impressed with the condition of most of their collection, and I hve a feeling if it wound up there, it would become "just another steam engine", under a shed, hard to appreciate. Interpretation of the railway equipment in Roanoke was virtually nill, and even I, a (somewhat) educated visitor, was left wondering why some pieces of equipment were there, and what (if any) signifigance they held.

Personally, I'd vote for Spencer. The N&W had a definite presence in NC and the Spencer site is second to none. NCTM has probably one of, if not the best region-specific collections out there. They interpret and preserve what they have very well. Maybe they'd even be able to run it somewhere, someday. However, even as a dsiplay, the engine would do very well there.

Just my two cents.

Dave Crosby

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:46 pm 

This locomotive would be a perfect addition to the fleet at Spencer for several reasons. For starters they need a steam locomotive that represents the N&W in North Carolina. I am not sure if there is proof of the 578 actually being in NC but I think the pacifics did handle passenger trains into the state.

The museum also needs a true passenger locomotive. While a shay and 2-8-0 look nice on the demonstration passenger train it would certainly help to have a real passenger engine in the roundhouse to show the public. It could be used to teach the public what a real passenger locomotive looked like and to explain relationship between driver size and speed. Spencer also needs a locomotive with big drivers just for the "wow" factor. Folks are truely impressed with wheels that are taller than they are.

Another thing needed in the collection at Spencer is a truely large locomotive. While a pacific is not a giant it would be larger than anything they currently have. With 611 and 1218 now displayed in Roanoke there would seem to be little chance of obtaining a locomotive with a NC heritage that would be larger than this pacific.

Obtaining this locomotive if it ever became available has been discussed by the folks in the shop but I am not sure how much thought management has given the subject. Of course there is the same old problem everyone seems to have when things like this come up, money. The state budget is very tight and so is that of the foundation.

I hope Spencer can work a deal to obtain this locomotive but only time will tell.

If I remember correctly this pacific is number 578, not 587. Am I correct on this one?

John Bohon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:21 pm 

The locomotive number is 578,the rypn brief has it wrong.Does anyone know if the 578 could run on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad?The Southern did run light Pacifics there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:48 pm 

The Southern ran MS class mikes like 4501 as far as Balsam. This is east (north) of Dillsboro so unless the railroad has been upgraded enough since steam days I think it is unlikely the 578 could run on GSMR. I am not sure if it would fit through Cowee tunnel which is just west of Dillsboro.

John Bohon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:26 pm 

johnny winkler wrote:
The locomotive number is 578,the rypn brief has it wrong.

Sorry, we went with the text of the press release from ORM, which also had it wrong. I have corrected the brief.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:57 pm 

A visitor to the museum today talked with a board member after taking pictures of one of the items, who said she knew nothing of rolling stock being available. Any idea what's going on?

Joshua

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:55 pm 

why is the museum giving it up? Anyone have a pic of this engine? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:18 pm 

Here's a photo of 578 taken by Jim Boyd (actually two frames stitched together in Photoshop). What I'm curious about is what is going to happen to the cute little 0-4-0T in the right hand foreground?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:14 pm 

I'd have to vote for Spencer as well. If she ended up on the OC, she would probably end up in the junk line with 76, 1278, and whatever else is down in there. Let's face it - if you attended Trainfest, you know those folks have their hands full just trying to keep what they have running.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:58 am 

I also agree with the NC Transportation Museum being a logical choice for the former N&W E2 4-6-2 578 that is up for sale by the Ohio Railway museum. My dad has a couple of photographs of this locomotive when he visited ORM back in the 70's although I'm sure the engine is in much worse condition today. I say Spencer, because:

1.)as mentioned before, the OC has a long line of steam engines currently in storage/inoperable, that should be worked on as well as the 33, which does anyone know it's current mechanical status/progress of its' restoration?

2.)VMT, already has 611 and 1218, as well as the N&W G-1 2-8-0 #6 as well as a number of pieces that could use a good cosmetic restoration and placement under cover to protect them from the elements, though I understand coming up with the money for such problems is an issue, I don't pretend to be naive as far as how financial issues play with museums. Furthermore, with the rusting 4-8-0s and 2-8-0 in the Roanoke scrapyard, it seems there are already a number of preservation projects in Roanoke to keep the rail community there busy.

3.)Although TVRM would be another possiblity, they are already working on restoring SR 630 and have CN 5288 which was acquired a few years back from Steamtown, that I believe last time I heard may be a candidate for restoration, once the 630 is completed.

Although some people may ignore N&W's presence in North Carolina, the N&W did operate to West Jefferson, via the Abington branch, to Winston-Salem, via the Pumpkin line as well as a line to Durham. Although, I know the Roundhouse at the NCTM is pretty full, once the backshop is restored, and as further developments on the property are made, having a passenger steam locomotive would be a good addition to the museum's collection. And seeing as how the 1401 is in the Smithsonian and no other SR passenger locomotives exist, it seems the 578 would be a logical choice.

Furthermore, I have been impressed by most of the cosmetic restorations on the rail collection currently on display in the 37-stall roundhouse. Plus it would be nice to see it infront of the former N&W combine currently being rebuilt as an ADA car equipped to handle handicapped visitors.

~Steven Ashley