It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buffalo Creek & Gauley 14
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:41 pm 

I have been asked by the new manager at the Gaithersburg MD Community Museum for advice with care of BC&G 14, a caboose and a camp car. The caboose and car are relatively similar to caring for some of the larger objects in our Museum. The locomotive is another question. Would J. David Conrads's book be a nice guide for the locomotive? If so, what is the full title, and where can I find a copy?

Thanks.

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Buffalo Creek & Gauley 14
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:29 am 

Conrad's Guide is a good basic primer; it's available online at

http://members.aol.com/belpaire/steamcm.htm

It may be of limited help in guiding Gaithersburg on furhter work re. BC&G 14, as the 14's custodians have the engine already in conformity with many of Conrad's recommendations. However, it would serve as a very valuable blueprint telling the basics of what must contiually be done to maintain the engine; it would help the city not "forget" when personnel change.

Didn't there used to be a group of volunteers working with the city on this locomotive? I beleive some of them are or hwere readers here, if only intermittently. If so I'd like to know what happened--is the city now assuming all responsibility for all three items of rollings stock on display there? Are volunteers still involved?

Oh, and as for what needs to be done--well, actual overhead shelter would sure be nice... :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:22 am 

Wes,

It would be nice to see BC&G #14 interpreted with some acknowledgement of her as-built configuration - WWI-era 0-8-0 "Liberty", one of the shop switchers of the Alco Locomotive Works.

She is, in my opinion, one of the most historic post 1900-locomotives left with us.

Rob

wesp wrote:
I have been asked by the new manager at the Gaithersburg MD Community Museum for advice with care of BC&G 14, a caboose and a camp car. The caboose and car are relatively similar to caring for some of the larger objects in our Museum. The locomotive is another question. Would J. David Conrads's book be a nice guide for the locomotive? If so, what is the full title, and where can I find a copy?

Thanks.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:22 am 

Thanks for the link to J. David's information. I think the City plans to repaint to locomotive and cars. I'm not sure if there is still local volunteer support for the Gaithersburg collection. I volunteered to help since I work just across the street from the Gaithersburg station.

I'll see what I can learn and follow up with a brief if there is enough information.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:44 pm 

One of the original people most involved in getting #14 to Gaithersburg was Potomac Chapter NRHS National Director and G'burg resident Jerry Hott. I'm not sure of his level of involvement anymore. I know he, and I, were very disappointed that the City chose not to try and preserve the site of the old B&O turning wye there, and instead allowed it to be turned into a huge parking garage. Also, the original idea of the freight house being a town RR museum seems to have been usurped by other interests. I believe the only displays left besides #14 are a B&O wagon-top caboose, and a former WM camp kitchen car (ex-Army troop diner). I have long thought that one of the former B&O 'Speedliner' RDC's should rightfully be displayed there as well. Two are currently being slowly vandalized at the Brunswick, MD CSX yard.