It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another question!COPR 2-8-0 #29 and C&NW 4-6-0 #175
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 1:33 pm 

Recently received info to a question I had about W&OV 4-6-0 #1 so here's another question. A private individual once owned Copper Range Railroad 2-8-0 #29 and Chicago & North Western Railway class R-1 4-6-0 #175. The 2-8-0 was actually operated on a tourist operation over the old Copper Range Railroad for at least one year until the line was sold for scrap and torn up. What has happened to these two locomotives? Anyone out there know?<br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Another question!COPR 2-8-0 #29 and C&NW 4-6-0 #
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 2:12 pm 

Last I heard they were sitting under a collapsed shed at Houghton, Michigan. I believe their owner is an engineer on the Wisconsin Central, who had once been a volunteer on the Keweenaw Cantral tourist line, which operated over the now-gone Copper Range. I've heard the 4-6-0 had its tender scrapped and replaced with one from an NP S-4 4-6-0. <br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 3:19 pm 

I believe Copper Range 2-8-0 #29 is owned by railfan Tim Lab of Michigan.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 7:48 pm 

A few years back at Mid Continent's Snow Train Weekend a member of the group told me that they had talked to the owner of the 29 and had a tentative agreement to trade their Union Pacific 2-8-0 No. 440 for it. The musuem has two ex-Copper Range passenger cars, and the goal is (was) to make a period Copper Range passenger train. I have not heard anything about this since then, however, so I suppose the deal fell through. <p>Jeff Terry<br>

jterry618@msn.com