It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific Lumber #37 in the news
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:44 pm 

I found this online and thought I would post. I spent a lot of hours working on this old girl back in the 1980's. It's a shame she sits now but maybe a move West is what she needs.

Tom Gears

1/26/05 Timber Heritage Association
will hold fourth annual dinner
by Vivian Dunlap
The Eureka Reporter
The Timber Heritage Association of Humboldt County will hold its fourth annual dinner and auction on Feb. 19 at the Fortuna River Lodge to help raise restoration funding for historic logging steam locomotive No. 37.

The historic locomotive, built in 1925 and formerly used by Pacific Lumber Co., is currently housed near the Wilmington and Western Railroad in Delaware. Once here, the association plans to use the vintage No. 37 to pull the museum’s excursion train, the Shoreline Special, around Humboldt Bay.

Having already raised the more than $50,000 needed to purchase the locomotive, the association needs to raise approximately $10,000 more to have it relocated to Humboldt County.

Last year’s dinner and auction drew more than 300 people and raised $21,000 for the association’s efforts.

Beginning with a no-host bar at 5 p.m. and dinner following at 6:30, the theme of this year’s event is “Dinner in the Diner,â€

Post subject: Last PALCO steam?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:06 am 

When did Pacific Lumber Co. last operate steam? Late 1950s or did they operate into the early 1960s? Most of the engines have survived, but I wonder when they last operated? I think the RR ended its days with some heavy GE center cabs.