It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laying Track
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:06 am 

I've always wondered, if they ever could, how much would it cost to lay one mile of new track on a existing railroad bed? Thanks

MSand17545@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Laying Track
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 2:48 pm 

> I've always wondered, if they ever could,
> how much would it cost to lay one mile of
> new track on a existing railroad bed? Thanks

Greetings,

I have heard it'll cost you about a million dollars a mile.

Thanks,
Gerald Kopiasz, President
Heartland Railroad Historical Society

Heartland Railroad Historical Society
hrrhs@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 6:14 pm 

> Greetings,

> I have heard it'll cost you about a million
> dollars a mile.

> Thanks,
> Gerald Kopiasz, President
> Heartland Railroad Historical Society

At IRM, we charge ourselves a "track space fee"--i.e., each new piece of equipment must be funded to pay for the incremental costs of track for that unit--of $75/foot. That's fairly close to our actual costs, but keep in mind we often get donated rail, etc., that keeps our costs down. At that rate, then, we're paying about $400,000 per mile.

Kevinmccabe@avenew.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 6:44 pm 

> I've always wondered, if they ever could,
> how much would it cost to lay one mile of
> new track on a existing railroad bed? Thanks

I just got a quote of $70 per foot to build shop and roundhouse leads with decent ~80 lb. relay hardware. I would expect longer runs to cost less because installation would require less starting stopping and cutting of stock.

There will be regional and other differences to be considered.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 9:03 pm 

One of the biggest expenses of relaying track, especially where it has been torn up. can be legal fees. There will always be a few (or a LOT) of NIMBYs who will try to say that the former RoW has reverted to their ownership, or even just try to block you anyway. (Look at the ongoing situation in with the DRGW Creede branch, for instance)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 9:56 pm 

Another major consideration concerns bridges, viaduct, culverts and trestles. As the old saying goes, for every mile of right of way there is a bridge, viaduct, trestle or other form of culvert. On Tennessee Valley Railroad's three mile main line we have three major bridges and one small span. When the line was reopened in 1977, the Tunnel Bolevard bridge had to be replaced as the original span had been removed. Total cost for a four span replacement bridge was well over $100,000 in 1977 dollars. Expenses concerning bridge rehabilitation can be expensive if not prohibitive.

envlink@voyageronline.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 4:40 pm 

Is it for a siding or a main line? In either case what is the expected use and speeds of operation? Are you willing to use relay materials? Do you need New ties? How long is the track?

The answers to these questions can change the number from $70 per foot to $200 per foot. On most of our projects, which are primarily 100 ton freight moves or passenger at 25 to 40 mph, the costs are about $100 per foot. This number does not include switches or highway crossings.

Stone Consulting & Design
garylandrio@stoneconsulting.com