It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Open letter to Mr. Levin and URHS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 10:58 am 

If the rumor is true that Juniata Terminal won both E-units, I am one happy camper. R-E-S-P-E-C-T is the only song I can sing about Mr. Levin's team.

May I humbly suggest that there is an interesting opportunity for a trade.

In NJ, the "fake" URHS Erie E-8's are actually one PRR and one NYC.

Perhaps there is a chance to trade the real Erie E-8 to the NJ group, and get a third real Pennsy E-8 at Juniata. Might I suggest the URHS sweeten the pot and include another PRR piece of rolling stock or two?

That would be the kicker, as JT would provide an instant good home for the NJ artifacts, which are still languishing while the politicians drag on.

Of course, if not for a handful of individuals in the Garden State, it might all be tuna cans by now.Anyway, it is just a thought.

Bob

Post subject: Re: Open letter to Mr. Levin and URHS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 2:07 pm 

I think Mr. Bobbins' letter deserves a full and complete answer. I will contact the Editor to discuss the proper format. Surely this site is a fine venue for a real discussion of a very complex issue.

As the 5711 will be the initial restoration, there remains a good bit of time to air the feelings of the ERIE people and others who want to talk about the fabric of this kind of restoration.

I would like the ERIE people to know that have have no bias as I was born in Jersey City. Some of my earliest walking tours were down Pavonia Ave. to the Erie Terminal on the north side of the street. My first roundhouse visit was the the Erie roundhouse on Pavonia Ave were I was awed by the big K class Pacifics. I even recall the elevated crossing gate operator where a fright siding crossed Pavonia Ave and the High Hooded ALCOs the switched the yard. All this prior to the age of 10.

The ex-Conrail power is unique in that they were impecably maintained and contain accessories that make them universal "runners".

In any event let me discuss the venue with the Editor and I will prepare an overview of my intellectual process in assessing the possibilites.

I am sure it will give rise to some very interesting discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 3:20 pm 

Mr. Levin,

If you have the time to do this, it would be very interesting. You have developed quite a following of people with a great deal of respect for your efforts, and a tinge of jealousy for those of us who have the means nor the facilities to pull off such stunning work.

Now about a PRR steam engine... ;-)

Bob

> I think Mr. Bobbins' letter deserves a full
> and complete answer. I will contact the
> Editor to discuss the proper format. Surely
> this site is a fine venue for a real
> discussion of a very complex issue.

> As the 5711 will be the initial restoration,
> there remains a good bit of time to air the
> feelings of the ERIE people and others who
> want to talk about the fabric of this kind
> of restoration.

> I would like the ERIE people to know that
> have have no bias as I was born in Jersey
> City. Some of my earliest walking tours were
> down Pavonia Ave. to the Erie Terminal on
> the north side of the street. My first
> roundhouse visit was the the Erie roundhouse
> on Pavonia Ave were I was awed by the big K
> class Pacifics. I even recall the elevated
> crossing gate operator where a fright siding
> crossed Pavonia Ave and the High Hooded
> ALCOs the switched the yard. All this prior
> to the age of 10.

> The ex-Conrail power is unique in that they
> were impecably maintained and contain
> accessories that make them universal
> "runners".

> In any event let me discuss the venue with
> the Editor and I will prepare an overview of
> my intellectual process in assessing the
> possibilites.

> I am sure it will give rise to some very
> interesting discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 4:34 pm 

Picture this:

1361, 5809, 5711 lined up at Bay Head for the morning dash to Gotham (& Exchange Place).

Oh to Dream

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:07 am 

Dear Mr. Levin:

Personally I would like to thank you for the enjoyment you have given me and my family. I was one of the many along with my son who was trackside at Bound Brook when the 5809 + 3 came through. It was one of the most stunning sights I have ever seen steam or diesel.

I hope you take this letter the right way and the members of the railfan community do too.

In your future restoration projects I urge you to continue the course you have set. I would think twice before getting involved with any of the railfan organizations, especially the URHS.

I'm sure that you know, but I will state this for the buffs, that there is more to Diesel preservation and operation than a coat of paint. Your people obviously have the skills, they have a fantastic fixed facility to work out of, and you obviously have the financial means to pull off a project as grand as this.

If everybody looks back at the 5809 as documented in the PRRTHS website the start to finish time was a bit over two months. I think a Class One railroad would have a hard time beating that, and a museum group would still be arguing "Brunswick Green or Tuscan Red....Five Stripe or Single", and eventually loose interest when the next thing they thought they were entitled to came along.

Mr. Levin if you wanted to paint the Erie 833 blue, weld two big eyes over the number boards, weld a nose on the front door and a smile and call it Thomas the Tank Engine I would support you. I wish you and your crew nothing but the best with your future restorations!!! Keep them coming and do your own thing.

> I think Mr. Bobbins' letter deserves a full
> and complete answer. I will contact the
> Editor to discuss the proper format. Surely
> this site is a fine venue for a real
> discussion of a very complex issue.

> As the 5711 will be the initial restoration,
> there remains a good bit of time to air the
> feelings of the ERIE people and others who
> want to talk about the fabric of this kind
> of restoration.

> I would like the ERIE people to know that
> have have no bias as I was born in Jersey
> City. Some of my earliest walking tours were
> down Pavonia Ave. to the Erie Terminal on
> the north side of the street. My first
> roundhouse visit was the the Erie roundhouse
> on Pavonia Ave were I was awed by the big K
> class Pacifics. I even recall the elevated
> crossing gate operator where a fright siding
> crossed Pavonia Ave and the High Hooded
> ALCOs the switched the yard. All this prior
> to the age of 10.

> The ex-Conrail power is unique in that they
> were impecably maintained and contain
> accessories that make them universal
> "runners".

> In any event let me discuss the venue with
> the Editor and I will prepare an overview of
> my intellectual process in assessing the
> possibilites.

> I am sure it will give rise to some very
> interesting discussion.

EMD710g3b@aol.com

Post subject: The Levin Family Is a Class Act.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 12:40 pm 

I was thrilled to hear that Juniata Terminal was the successful bidder for the 2 CSX E-units. E's are my favorite diesels.

When they acquired PRR #5711 from Norfolk Southern, I asked on the board, "Who is the Levin family?" I had heard of Juniata Terminal, but had not put two and two together.

I received a very polite Email from Dean Levin off line explaining who they were, and what they were doing with the unit. I cannot wait to see it myself on my next trip to the Philadelphia area. I only wish we had a few more families like the Levin's with the interest and the financial resources to preserve and operate more pieces of historic equipment.

Well Done,

Kevin Gillespie
Columbia, MD

kevingillespie@usa.net

Post subject: Re: The Levin Family Is a Class Act.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 4:15 pm 

I think the ex Erie unit should be painted for Canadian Pacific 1803 and come to Canada!

Spread the joy!

Old Time Trains
oldtimetrains@rrmail.com

Post subject: Re: The Levin Family Is a Class Act.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 4:37 pm 

How about a SantaFe War Bonnet E-8?

That would really spread the joy.