It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NRHS convention Portland?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:33 am 

Anyone going to Portland for the NRHS convention this year?
I've waiting 21 years until one came close to me, I live about 90 miles from Portland, and I wouldn't miss this even if I broke both my legs!
I am wondering, however, if there's going to be anything new in the area. I know 4449 and 700 are there, but I've seen both in steam several times. UP's steam program website says nothing scheduled this year so far, but anybody hear anything yet on if they'll be bringing 844 or 3985 to Portland?
I thought the idea of a convention, other than showcasing local stuff, is to bring any many steam engines as possible to a location. I'm wondering with 4449 and 700 already right there, UP might say that's enough?
Geez, I hope not. I mean, they really should show off 844 after her rebuilding, right?

Post subject: Re: NRHS convention Portland?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:08 pm 

For details on what's going to be happening at this year's NRHS convention, check the convention web site where I expect the schedule of event to be posted fairly soon.

There's a link to it at

NRHS.com

Bob H.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:33 pm 

Quote:
I thought the idea of a convention, other than showcasing local stuff, is to bring any many steam engines as possible to a location.

I thought this statement was really interesting. What is the "official" NRHS stand on its conventions? Back in the 70's and 80's it felt like every convention was based on the (Norfolk) Southern Steam program. In fact, a lot of NRHS Chapters seemed to exist because of this. While I'm sure there are local exceptions (the L&WV Chapter here in Scranton is very active and preservation focused), it seems like the NRHS is in a gradual but steady decline. Is there a plan now that the era of big steam conventions is over?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:36 pm 

aw man..I was excited for a moment!
because I automatically thought Portland MAINE!
;)
:(

oh well..

Scot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:56 pm 

Well, I just got the registration packet for Portland.
I am really disappointed with what's going on. Only ONE steam trip with 4449/700, and that's it. No UP. They're running a special on the Mt Rainier to Morton, but I've seen it running there already.
And the prices? Good Lord, over $200 for coach on the 4449 trip???
I'm still going to chase the 4449, but I'm really let down by this. There's nothing going on here I can't see almost any given summer, darn it.