It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surplus steam shipped overseas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 9:19 pm 

We are probably all aware of redundant (surplus) steam locomotives being shipped to Mexico, Cuba, South Korea, etc. Unfortunately, most (if not all) of these locomotives never returned. This evening I was going through the LINKS section of RYPN and came across a listing for preserved locomotives in Spain. Unfortunately the link is in Spanish. It jolted my memory a bit and I seem to recall a photo in Trains Magazine years and years ago of surplus steam being shipped from the Alaska Railroad to Spain. I recall that one of the engines mentioned was a Post World War 2 built Pacific! I have never heard any reference to whatever became of these locomotives. Does anyone know out there for sure that they too have been scrapped? Thanks!

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Surplus steam shipped overseas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 5:01 pm 

> This evening I
> was going through the LINKS section of RYPN
> and came across a listing for preserved
> locomotives in Spain. Unfortunately the link
> is in Spanish.

This web site is actually quite interesting, even if you don't know Spanish. Thanks for pointing it out. I think if you stare at it long enough, most of the technical words will make sense. There is a page of statistics (Estadisticas) which indicates that there are 21 locomotives which were built in the US. There is a separate list for each of the twenty or so provinces, and I haven't had time to look at them all, but they list the previous owners. The builders are abbreviated; most of them mean nothing to me, but look for BLW and Alco.

The wheel arrangements (rodaje) are given in the European system which counts axles, not wheels, so a Pacific is a 231 instead of 4-6-2.

Incidentally, the preserved locomotives are of 13 different gauges. Talk about a lack of standardization!

Post subject: Re: Surplus steam shipped overseas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 7:03 pm 

> This web site is actually quite interesting,
> even if you don't know Spanish.

Not an advertisement as I have nothing to to with it, but babelfish makes reading foreign language websites much easier. First, go to the website you want to translate, copy the URL then go to http://www.babelfish.altavista.com and paste it in. While not perfect, it sure helps a lot.

Roger

Babelfish
Belpaire@aol.com