It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reading Company T-1 2101??????????????????????
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 9:15 pm 

>I would like to know the where-abouts of Reading >Company T-1 2101.Is it in operation, >restoration,static display, or sitting in a >field holding the earth down and giving a great >place for cows to sleep!?! Does anyone have a >picture?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

winston_40@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 11:27 pm 

After rescue from a Baltimore scrap yard in 1975 (along with sister 2100) and restoration for service on the American Freedom Train in 1975-76 and on the Chessie Steam Specials in 1977-78, she was caught in a roundhouse fire while in winter storage in Kentucky. The Chessie Suystem traded C&O 4-8-4 614 to 2101's owner Ross Rowland Jr. as a goodwill gesture, and Rowland restored 614 to operation. 2101, meanwhile, was restored to AFT colors and placed in the B&O Museum. There is much speculation as to whether the fire damage (basically baked from above) was severe enough to permanently sideline the loco.
In recent years the engine has suffered from severe and embarrassing neglect, being progressively shoved further and further out of sight. The engine no longer fits the "all-B&O, all the time" mission of the B&O Museum, and I assume she is being stored in the shops or held back for possible trade to another party. Rumors have speculated much, but if I knew anything more I wouldn't say.

LNER4472@gateway.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 12:44 pm 

RDG #2101 is still in the front yard of the B&O Museum, but she is on a track surrounded by equipment on both sides so you can't see how badly "weathered" she has become.

kevingillespie@usa.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 1:23 pm 

I've actually approached the RCT&HS and (through Kevin) the B&O museum about at least getting 2101 painted (back to Original RDG black and gold) and B&O had no problem with it, and RCT&HS was for it, but couldn't put forth the time or effort with so much work going on with them building a new museum to store their equipment.

Wowak.Railfan.Net
mrwowak@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 3:57 am 

As of last week she was gone from the front yard. Lord knows what switching has happened over the weekend, but it wasn't in the spot Kevin is thinking of.

LNER4472@gateway.net