It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reading Company Rail Diesel Cars
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 12:15 am 

The Reading Company Railroad had many Rail Diesel Cars (RDC).I know the where-abouts of at least three of these magnificant units.Two of them are located at the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society (RCT&HS) in Leesport,Pa.They are units 9152 and 9162.They are both RDC-1's.A unique detail about the one unit (9152) was that it was the last RDC built by Budd Company!Both units were obtained from MBTA (Boston).The third Reading Company RDC is owned by the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern Railroad (RBMNRR).It's number is 9166.It is an RDC-3.It's unique detail is that it was turned into a 2/3's coach and 1/3 cafe by Reading Company!That detail makes it almost one of a kind.I have rode the 9166.It is always accompanied by RDC-3 9168 wich was an old New York Centrel unit.They have been on an excursion kick off for the last three years!They are in great condition.I am very intrested in these unique units.Back in the early 50's late 60's these units were very great for units with little towns along the line.They could haul the local residents and ship the mail at the same time and with that they were great for short lines and branch lines all over the United States.

winston_40@hotmail.com