It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake Shore Railway Association
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:59 am 

I have just recently heard of a fairly new organization known - if I remember correctly - as the Lake Shore Railway Association. This group is based around Newark, Ohio, and evidently runs tourist trains. They have a fairly cryptic website. I was wondering if anyone knew about their equipment, especially their electric cars. They're rumored to have a former Indiana Railroad (ex-Interstate) box motor that was converted into a diesel-electric by American Aggregates, as well as a COMPLETE Lake Shore Electric interurban car - #167. Does anyone have pictures of these pieces of equipment or information on their current condition?

On a slightly different note, there's also supposed to be a Jewett interurban in some Museum of Technology in Newark, Ohio. Help?

Post subject: Re: Lake Shore Railway Association
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 9:05 pm 

> I have just recently heard of a fairly new
> organization known - if I remember correctly
> - as the Lake Shore Railway Association.
> This group is based around Newark, Ohio, and
> evidently runs tourist trains. They have a
> fairly cryptic website. I was wondering if
> anyone knew about their equipment,
> especially their electric cars. They're
> rumored to have a former Indiana Railroad
> (ex-Interstate) box motor that was converted
> into a diesel-electric by American
> Aggregates, as well as a COMPLETE Lake Shore
> Electric interurban car - #167. Does anyone
> have pictures of these pieces of equipment
> or information on their current condition?

> On a slightly different note, there's also
> supposed to be a Jewett interurban in some
> Museum of Technology in Newark, Ohio. Help?

You got your facts messed up. There is a tourist railroad in Newark, OH. It is called the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad. They have an SW1 and four ex VIA coaches and a couple of cabooses and a B&O horse car. There is a trolley in the Museum of Industry in Newark, althought I don't know what it is.

Around Lodi, OH west of Akron is the Northern Ohio Railway Museum which preserves interurban and trolley equipment. Perhaps this is the museum you are talking about.

Or maybe you are talking about the privately owned equipment located just south of I-70 on the Buckeye Centrals right of way.

rickrailrd@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 7:44 am 

> You got your facts messed up. There is a
> tourist railroad in Newark, OH. It is called
> the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad. They
> have an SW1 and four ex VIA coaches and a
> couple of cabooses and a B&O horse car.
> There is a trolley in the Museum of Industry
> in Newark, althought I don't know what it
> is.

> Around Lodi, OH west of Akron is the
> Northern Ohio Railway Museum which preserves
> interurban and trolley equipment. Perhaps
> this is the museum you are talking about.

> Or maybe you are talking about the privately
> owned equipment located just south of I-70
> on the Buckeye Centrals right of way.

What does the privately owned equipment consist of ?

train@nls.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 1:25 pm 

> You got your facts messed up. There is a
> tourist railroad in Newark, OH. It is called
> the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad. They
> have an SW1 and four ex VIA coaches and a
> couple of cabooses and a B&O horse car.
> There is a trolley in the Museum of Industry
> in Newark, althought I don't know what it
> is.

> Around Lodi, OH west of Akron is the
> Northern Ohio Railway Museum which preserves
> interurban and trolley equipment. Perhaps
> this is the museum you are talking about.

> Or maybe you are talking about the privately
> owned equipment located just south of I-70
> on the Buckeye Centrals right of way.

Perhaps you're right. I do know of the Buckeye Central, although I can't admit to having known it was based out of Newark. I am currently corresponding with the Institute of Industrial Technology in Newark (www.iitnewark.org/iithome.htm) to get more information about their interuran car. And, I know of the Northern Ohio Railway Museum. They are just south of the town of Chippewa Falls, on the old Columbus & Southeastern ROW. There they are busy trying to get their assemblage of car bodies into a barn. There is also an electric operation in Olmsted Falls, in the west suburbs of Cleveland. This is Trolleyville, USA, a small tourist railway run in a trailer park that is owned by the Brookins family.

However, I'm sure I've seen a pamphlet from something known as the Lake Shore Railway Association. The organization seemed to own the equipment formerly owned by the Lamont brothers, so that may very well be the privately-owned equipment you are thinking of.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2001 1:40 pm 

The Lake Shore Railway Historical Society is based in Wellington, Ohio. They own and operate a portion of the former Lorain & West Virginia Railroad, which extends from Wellington to Lorain. They are in operation during the fair week in late summer at Wellington. They also usually run weekends during the summer season. Their ride is 4 miles north and they are hoping to extend it a little each year.

Stone Consulting has been their consultant and engineer for several years. We successfully helped them get an agreement with the Ohio Turnpike Commission to extend their line further north toward Lorain.

Stone Consulting & Design
garylandrio@stoneconsulting.com

Post subject: IIT and Jewett Interurban Car, Lake Shore Electric *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:02 pm 

I know IIT in Newark well, as it is where I did my intership as an undergrad at Denison University in nearby Granville. The Lake Shore Electric Car was built by Jewett in 1915. It is a steel car, and was numbered #171 when it was running for them. After its Lake Shore Electric use, it was cut down into a body and made into a house in Vermillion, Ohio. After an extensive search for a Jewett in 1996, the car body was purchased by IIT and moved to Newark. For its many years in non-railroad use, much of the interior wood side panels were intact. There had been a large hole cut in the side of the car, which was patched and replaced over the winter of 1996-1997. In addition, much of the mahogony windows in the car were replaced original NOS (a car-buff term meaning "New-Old-Stock") found in a sealed back room of the last remaining building of Jewett Car Company factory. On display at IIt is also many of the paterns that were used for the cars, which were also found in this sealed room. I left IIT after 1997, although I recently stopped by there and found the car in beautiful shape. The smoking section has been completely restored, and the remaining section of the car is being used for a layout depicting the old Lake Shore Route. The car should be finished by April. Any other questions, please e-mail me.

Port Huron Museum
peremarquette@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: IIT and Jewett Interurban Car, Lake Shore Elec
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:21 pm 

> I know IIT in Newark well, as it is where I
> did my intership as an undergrad at Denison
> University in nearby Granville. The Lake
> Shore Electric Car was built by Jewett in
> 1915. It is a steel car, and was numbered
> #171 when it was running for them.

It can't be #171. (What remains of) Lake Shore Electric #171 is preserved at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME. I e-mailed someone at IIT, and they responded that the car's number is #174. For future record-keeping, I am considering #174 to be the car's actual number.

Post subject: Re: IIT and Jewett Interurban Car, Lake Shore Elec *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 3:56 pm 

> It can't be #171. (What remains of) Lake
> Shore Electric #171 is preserved at the
> Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport,
> ME. I e-mailed someone at IIT, and they
> responded that the car's number is #174. For
> future record-keeping, I am considering #174
> to be the car's actual number.

My bad, #174, not #171. But then it isn't #167 either, and the car wasn't perfectly preserved, but needed high modification to be restored. I think I filled in the rest of your gaps pretty well, though.... By the way, who did you talk to at IIT, Brian Volkmer?

Port Huron Museum
peremarquette@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: IIT and Jewett Interurban Car, Lake Shore Elec
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 6:24 pm 

> My bad, #174, not #171. But then it isn't
> #167 either, and the car wasn't perfectly
> preserved, but needed high modification to
> be restored. I think I filled in the rest of
> your gaps pretty well, though.... By the
> way, who did you talk to at IIT, Brian
> Volkmer?

Yes.