It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: change or die?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:44 pm 

I am still on some mailing lists from my prevous career in theatre and dance design, production and management. I just read the February SPOTLIGHT newsletter from American Association of Community Theatre which contains a column called "Spotlight on Boards" which, considering the thread about dying railroad museums, could well be considered by railroad preservationists too. In fact, we have a lot to learn from other cultural organizations in many ways.

This article outlines several "new years resolutions" for 2001, I won't go into detail here, but I was struck by:

1. have a mission / vision / values statement and long range plan which is reviewed each year

2. have the board you need and a plan for board development

3. every member / participant put the needs of the organization first

4. commitment to learning and growing

5. Proactive about change

6. hold yourself accountable to stakeholders at every level

All these themes and a few more are developed in detail in the article. I don't know if it is available on the aact.org website but it would make a fine rsource for museum directors and oards too.

Dave

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: change or die?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:03 pm 

Raymond Crapo wrote a couple of timeless columns on this subject in our beloved L&RP magazine. Should be recommended reading for any current and future rr museum board members.

Ken

ken.middlebrook@nsc.com

Post subject: Change is good
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:38 pm 

There are two things a group needs to keep going. New blood and new money! Change is good, change is constant, and if it is not the end will come.

There are many museums that had families visiting in Studebakers and Ramblers when they opened and now cater to families driving up in SUVs and bus tours. The customers are not the same and neither are the businesses, no matter if you are Sears or Strasburg. They did not get to where they are by doing everything the same as day one. You only need to fail once to be out of business, you need to change all of the time to stay in business.

Steam Railroading Message Board

Post subject: Re: change or die?-Museum Boards & Mission Stmts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:41 pm 

> I served on a (now defunct)board a few years ago. I saw board members who basically fell in two categories-and friends in non rail volunteer efforts make similar observations

the eager but hopeless dreamers, who dreamed of 100 mile excursions @ 70MPH behind inoperable (and unowned) 4-8-4's say three times a week and who would fund the entire project with bake sale money.

and the petty tyrants for whom a board meeting was a chance to engage in small scale mutinys and corporate cloak and dagger intrigue.

Most never heard of a mission statement, let alone had experience of crafting a meaningful document.

The best thing you can do is get seasoned executives, accountants, lawyers and other people who understand how a business works..who know how to avoid ultra vire acts and prohibited inurement

The problem is, most folks like that have demanding day jobs which limit their ability to give time and talent.

Hate to be a downer, but that's my experience.

Post subject: Re: Change is good??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 2:24 am 

Except for the B&O Musem, etc., which are exceptional cases, virtually all railroad museums were started by hobbiests. These places were created an built by people who wanted to do so and enjoyed doing it, not by people who were paid. If you lose sight of that, then you're doomed.

I've read Ray Crapo's articles. Essentially they say "fund raising" is THE answer. If this means "member driven fund raising" as opposed to "grants" then it is healthy for the whole organization. On the other hand, if it means "grants primarily", then the paper shufflers, bureaucrats, and petty intriguers take over, which is a fatal state of affairs in any organization, let alone a railroad museum.

The problem is that the people who are the "leaders" of these organzations become ossified in office. They begin to wander down the path of "le Musee, c'est Moi", and we all know what this did to Marie Antoinette & Co., let alone promote the successful recruitment of those skillful and talented younger members necessary to carry the flame into the future.

The long term viability of any museum is based on the succesful interplay between the recruitment and eductaion of new members and the maturity and self-restraint of the older ones, particularly those in the driver's seat. I know a fair number of the principles in many railroad museums, and I'm sorry to say that things don't look good at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:13 pm 

> Except for the B&O Musem, etc., which
> are exceptional cases, virtually all
> railroad museums were started by hobbiests.
> These places were created an built by people
> who wanted to do so and enjoyed doing it,
> not by people who were paid. If you lose
> sight of that, then you're doomed.

> I've read Ray Crapo's articles. Essentially
> they say "fund raising" is THE
> answer. If this means "member driven
> fund raising" as opposed to
> "grants" then it is healthy for
> the whole organization. On the other hand,
> if it means "grants primarily",
> then the paper shufflers, bureaucrats, and
> petty intriguers take over, which is a fatal
> state of affairs in any organization, let
> alone a railroad museum.

> The problem is that the people who are the
> "leaders" of these organzations
> become ossified in office. They begin to
> wander down the path of "le Musee,
> c'est Moi", and we all know what this
> did to Marie Antoinette & Co., let alone
> promote the successful recruitment of those
> skillful and talented younger members
> necessary to carry the flame into the
> future.

> The long term viability of any museum is
> based on the succesful interplay between the
> recruitment and eductaion of new members and
> the maturity and self-restraint of the older
> ones, particularly those in the driver's
> seat. I know a fair number of the principles
> in many railroad museums, and I'm sorry to
> say that things don't look good at the
> moment.

Sadly, I must agree with Pete.

For over 20 years I was an active volunteer at a museum that had steam, diesel and electric operations. I participated in all kinds of activities from docent roles to operations to even selling stuff in the gift shop. I enjoyed it.

Yet, the few people in power decided that they knew what was best for the Museum. It was simple, really. Cancel a steam project about 60% done, do away with diesel passenger trains, and all of the trouble making people are gone. Hide behind a stealth crafted mission statement and claim to be America's interurban museum.

Not once were members ever contacted for their input, just do it, ala Nike. Where once was potential, now is moribund.

The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many in this case. Egos were stroked, and the people who did a good deal of the work to keep the place going were discouraged from participating in any form.

Now to hear the tale from the lips of the few, things have never been better. For them maybe. For the folks like me who were simply disposable, it's another tale.

So... change is not always good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:06 pm 

While I can't help but have some pathos for "Pete" and "Kleenex", I am curious why it is necessary to use pseudonyms and not give email addresses as they state their plight. I have viewed threads elsewhere about the situation at the institution they refer to and in the end reasoned discussion all but disappeared. RyPN has remained above accusation (justified or otherwise). Venting a bit more responsible and believable when you attach your real name and address to it. My comment is not about the situation to which they refer, but to their methodology in sharing it.

wyld@oc-net.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 3:19 am 

> I have viewed threads elsewhere about the situation at the institution they refer to . . .

I'm not sure I know which insitution you think I was referring to, but I can tell you that in my posting above I'm directing my comments to all the volunteer museums and not any one in particular.

> . . . and in the end reasoned discussion all but disappeared.

Regarding the specfics of the situation at the institution which got me into researching and trying to analyze why people join mass-movement organizations (i.e. hobbies)--and the need to treat everyone concerned with a modicum of respect, there was never any discussion at all, let alone a reasoned one; just an axe job.

Let me repeat my warning: the minute the "le Musee, c'est Mois" attitude sets in, the moment the Cult of the Personality takes over, volunteer organizations are in BIG trouble.

Quite commendibly, RYPN hasn't taken sides, although other sites have merely by the simple act of censoring discussion. RYPN is to be lauded because all organzations reach stages where self-analyzation and self-assessment are essential for future success. If we can't talk about mistakes and missteps, examine them, and learn from them, then we're all in trouble.

> I am curious why it is necessary to use pseudonyms and not give email addresses . . .

Bear in mind that since people join hobby clubs (which is what all the volunteer museums are) primarily for emotional reasons, rather than pecuniary ones, there is an above average probability that my comments will be misconstrued (and mislabeled) as "negativism". Nothing could be further from the case. While they describe bad and unpalpable situations, they are constructive criticism. Since, the "le Musee, c'est Mois" types are congenitally unable to accept any criticism of any kind, I prefer a degree of anonymity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:35 pm 

Pete, thanks for your response. Selfishness anywhere always seems to lead to folks getting hurt. Notwithstanding the poor method in which the change to "interurban" was done, has there been discussion regarding the what if's of having sat down with all parties to refocus the museum? Feel free to respond by email. I am not interested in which direction is right, only in where more open discussion might have led.

wyld@oc-net.com