It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chinese Locomotive Parts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:10 am 

Does anyone have any experience with Chinese manufactured locomotive parts? I am interested in knowing about the quality, interchangeability of parts, performance and reliability of them. The parts in questions are injectors, air compressors, boiler checks, lubricators, and firedoors.

Thanks in advance,

G. Mark Ray - TVRM

aw90h@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Chinese Locomotive Parts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:05 pm 

You might want to check with the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad in Boone, Iowa. www.scenic-valleyrr.com OR e-mail: b&svrr@tdsi.net

They purchased what I understand is the last steam locomotive built at the Datong Locomotive Works in China, so they should know something about parts.

Hope this helps.

Dick Ikenberry

ri51425@alltel.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:42 pm 

> Does anyone have any experience with Chinese
> manufactured locomotive parts? I am
> interested in knowing about the quality,
> interchangeability of parts, performance and
> reliability of them. The parts in questions
> are injectors, air compressors, boiler
> checks, lubricators, and firedoors.

> Thanks in advance,

> G. Mark Ray - TVRM

Mark, I was told by the Knox & Kane people in Pennsylvania shortly after they got their Chinese logging Mike that the engine was basically sound but the shut off valves were of poor quality and leaked constantly.
Jim

http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:24 pm 

I have never dealt with Chinese locoparts, but I did once have a dealership that sold Chinese tractors, and I can tell you that their metalurgy is POOR(castings are very soft, full of sand holes, badd annealing, ect), and most of the machine work looked as if it had been done with a cold chisle. Doesnt Steamtown have a bunch of injector and other patterns from several manufacturers? If so, why won't they utilize them to all our good.

lorija799@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:55 pm 

> I have never dealt with Chinese locoparts,
> but I did once have a dealership that sold
> Chinese tractors, and I can tell you that
> their metalurgy is POOR(castings are very
> soft, full of sand holes, badd annealing,
> ect), and most of the machine work looked as
> if it had been done with a cold chisle.
> Doesnt Steamtown have a bunch of injector
> and other patterns from several
> manufacturers? If so, why won't they utilize
> them to all our good.

HRMO:

Strasburg and Backshop Enterprises have also invested heavily in tooling up for new injectors or components. The cost of this tooling up must be recovered from very few units sold over a reasonable time frame or the capital would have been better invested in Christmas Club accounts.

China has recovered their much lower investment many times over already and more cheap production there is just gravy - but as you allude above, there are some real quality challanges and issues according to some I have talked with about the complex parts and assemblies.

Basic stuff like firedoors? I only hope we can get useful ones from there at low cost since I need a pair now.

Dave

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 1:18 am 

For info. on air compressors, contact Bernie Watts. He rebuilds Westinghouse equipment for the D&S, C&TS and others. He does not think very highly of the quality of Chinese air pumps. Air pumps and injectors are relatively precision devices, but things like fire doors are probably a safer bet.

a231pacific@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:27 am 

When the C&TS recieved the 497 from the D&S, it was equipped with a Chinese non-lifting injector on the left side, replacing the original Nathan Simplex lifting injector.

The Chinese gun worked well and appeared to have been well built. Our trouble was that in a few years the tubes wore out, and there were no replacement parts available. The cost of having "one-off" nozzles fabricated was considerable, so we set it a side and dug out a Simplex and put it on in its place.

Post subject: Hey Earl!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 1:00 pm 

Can you contact me backchannel!
Thanks.
Greg Scholl
sales@gregschollvideo.com

sales@gregschollvideo.com