It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railway Demolition News
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 1998 4:23 pm 

Dennis Hogan sent me a copy of this photo. Anybody know anything about it?<p>Thanks

Railway Preservation News
[img]http://www.rypn.org/170914.jpg"%20WIDTH="1055"%20HEIGHT="633[/img]
hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Railway Demolition News
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 1998 6:57 am 

This is a photo of a staged train wreck, a popular attraction at fairs and similar events from about 1896 until the 1930s. Some were staged to mark civic events or just to promote travel to somewhere on a rail line. Old locos were painted up and started toward each other on a track installed for the purpose in front of a grandstand, usually with a few old cars attached. The engineers would bail out and the trains would continue on to the point of collision, ususally with the whistles tied down all the way. For more on this subject see "Train Wrecks for Fun and Profit" by F.A. Schmidt, Boston Mills Press, 1982, or an article in "Timeline," Ohio State Hist Soc, March/April 1998, which covers one staged in Ohio on May 30, 1996.<br>

rdgoldfede@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Railway Demolition News
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 1998 6:01 pm 

Yes, I understood it was a staged event, although other than the infamous crash at crush I didn't realize it was such a common thing. Regardless, I was wondering if anybody had any history of the event like the location, locomotives involved, etc.<br>

hkading@rypn.org