It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For our college age preservationists
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 5:19 pm 

I am going out on a limb and trying something new in Savannah - summer job opportunities in railroad restoration projects for the new generation of preservationists. Beats flipping burgers and the beach isn't far away.

Pay will be in the $7.50 / hour range and housing is available at Armstrong Atlantic State University in town at $92.00 per week I am told.

I have found two comitted and interested students from way up north so far. Anybody else interested?

I have room for maybe 4 more. Only seriously interested need apply. Flexibility about start and stop dates, but minimum 6 week commitment. Pack overalls and tool boxes.

Please reply to me offlist for further information.

Dave Lathrop

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: For our college age preservationists
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 11:48 am 

Man, Dave, where were you four or five years ago when I could been eligible for something like this! Any of you young enough and free enough (meaning not tied to a given area) that have a passion for rail history should be beating down Dave's door. I would have killed for this kind of opportunity. Then again, you guys in the South always seem to be a step ahead of us Northerners when it comes to educating the youth of tomorrow in historic preservation. I'm trying to start something similar here at our museum in Michigan, but it probably won't happen until next year at least. Kudos for planting the historic preservation seed in the rail historians of tomorrow.

T.J.

> I am going out on a limb and trying
> something new in Savannah - summer job
> opportunities in railroad restoration
> projects for the new generation of
> preservationists. Beats flipping burgers and
> the beach isn't far away.

> Pay will be in the $7.50 / hour range and
> housing is available at Armstrong Atlantic
> State University in town at $92.00 per week
> I am told.

> I have found two comitted and interested
> students from way up north so far. Anybody
> else interested?

> I have room for maybe 4 more. Only seriously
> interested need apply. Flexibility about
> start and stop dates, but minimum 6 week
> commitment. Pack overalls and tool boxes.

> Please reply to me offlist for further
> information.

> Dave Lathrop

Port Huron Museum
peremarquette@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 1:29 pm 

> Man, Dave, where were you four or five
> years ago when I could been eligible for
> something like this!

In colorado.

Actually, we have had fewer expressions of interest than I had imagined. Looks like maybe 5 or 6 will come through which is a good number for a pilot program.

Don't sell yourself short, this is easy to do if you have a project with a source of funds - just use the funds to pay for the interns. I find interns get paid less than skilled craftsmen since they are learning the skills in exchange for the lower compensation. It can make otherwise unmanageable projects affordable if done well.

We will see if we can do it well this summer.

Dave

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 6:28 pm 

> In colorado.

> Actually, we have had fewer expressions of
> interest than I had imagined. Looks like
> maybe 5 or 6 will come through which is a
> good number for a pilot program.

> Don't sell yourself short, this is easy to
> do if you have a project with a source of
> funds - just use the funds to pay for the
> interns. I find interns get paid less than
> skilled craftsmen since they are learning
> the skills in exchange for the lower
> compensation. It can make otherwise
> unmanageable projects affordable if done
> well.

> We will see if we can do it well this
> summer.

> Dave

Dave:

Here's another thought. How about inviting "old heads" from the various museums to come down during the program for a day or two to see what you are doing with the "kids"? That way, we can see what works, what doesn't, how we could implement such a program, etc. As an alternate, video tape as much of what goes on as possible and offer it to any museum that is interested.

I am excited about what you are doing and think it is fantastic and the way to go!

midlandblb@cs.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:25 pm 

EVERYBODY is welcome anytime. If you want some special access to any of our programs just schedule in advance and you will be accomodated. If you want to hang for a few days and work with us fine too.

This program is particularly directed at bringing new or younger blood into the fold and eliminating some of the frustrations so eloquently explained on this board some months ago. Funds from project budgets have been allocated accordingly. Old Heads or just plain interested parties are welcome but there is no compensation involved in this program.

So, when can we expect you?

Dave

lathro19@idt.net