It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caboose delivered
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:59 pm 

A large caboose was recently delivered to the Brooks Historical Museum at Powerland, Brooks, Oregon.

Their web site does not seem to know what they have. Anybody know anything about this large caboose with four windows?

I wonder if it might be a drovers caboose used to carry more than just a freight train crew. No lettering on the weathered outside.

I suggested they look inside the back door for a number. It does have a nice pair of trucks!

ted66

Post subject: Re: Caboose delivered
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:01 am 

Ted,

I was carious about this car and after some Google searches I found out this information. The Brooks Historical Society, the actual owner of the caboose, has identified it as CB&Q 14411; more recently used by the OP&E. After some careful sanding the number was found and then the book The Burlington Waycar was consulted.

See this page from its website: Welcome Waycar (Caboose) # 14411!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:03 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This page seems to make me think they know:

http://www.oregonpioneers.com/marion/Br ... ojects.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

Reading some of the info on their web page, the folks there in Brooks, seem to have been involved in one of the more interesting preservation cases. The surplus depot was originally moved and added as a SECOND STORY to a garage! The historical group eventually reclaimed it, removed it from the garage and moved it back to Brooks. And added a new roof to the garage! Wish they would have had some photos of all of that! Maybe there were some, but I didn't see any.

The wood CB&Q caboose seems like a nice addition to their collection. They apparently are going to use it as a meeting room and for storage. Maybe someone should direct them to a surplus boxcar which might be a better idea for storage, but overall for a small group, they seem to have a good plan for the future. They sure have done a nice job with their depot restoration.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

It's certainly a useful addition to their depot museum building at the Antique Powerland site. I visited there at the beginning of June last year and the Depot itself is absolutely packed with exhibits and memorabillia from the area - and a lot of it is not directly railroad related.
They will certainly have to move a lot of items out if they want to restore the interior back to its railroad configuration.

It was a fairly quiet day for visitors when I went there - my main interests being the Oregon Electric Rly Museum & the Truck Museum and its the only place I have been to where the staff from the other heritage sites there were actively seeking me out to encourage me to visit their premises!
The chap showing me round the depot was a bit confused when I asked him where they got the British Railways (Scottish Region) oil lamp from which was on display there. They thought it was a US or Canadian one.........

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

Folks,
Thanks for the quick reply. You all found some pictures and informaion that I had not seen!

ted66