It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Three Rivers Rambler, new
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:19 pm 

Multi-ownered southern shortline locomotive:http://www.leclairerail.com/Baldwin/0474wl203.jpg

Post subject: Re: Three Rivers Rambler, new
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:56 pm 

I'm curious to know how the folks in Knoxville like the 203. The Rockton & Rion rarely used her. I've heard rumours about the firebox flexing and other problems, not all of which I believe. I suspect the R&R didn't like her because of the lack of a trailing truck, but then the 203 and 712 survived while at least one other Mikado was cut up.Also, how come the W&L got rid of the 203? Was it when they shut down, or was there some other reason? I can quote chapter and verse on the R&R but I know nothing about the W&L other than its location.We almost got the 203 when Grey Tuttle had his problems. Unfortunately he wanted real money for her and we couldn't justify it. Oh, well, at least she's under steam. I'm going to try to organize a SCRM field trip up to Knoxville for a visit to her either this summer or next.Anyone know of any movies of the 203 in operation on the R&R? I've seen film of 19, 31, 712, and the two Anderson Quarry dinkies, but nothing of the 203.

Drift into yesterday. --Jethro Tull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:14 pm 

scrmcurator wrote:
The Rockton & Rion rarely used her. I've heard rumours about the firebox flexing and other problems, not all of which I believe.
My understanding is that 203 was simply too small, and sat in the engine house for years, unused. I knew the folks that put her back in service in Mississippi, and never heard anything about firebox problems.
scrmcurator wrote:
Also, how come the W&L got rid of the 203? Was it when they shut down?
Yes.JAC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:47 pm 

The Washington and Linconton went broke in 1932 or 1933 and sold the engine to Rockton and Rion. She was considered too light to handle the grade up to Rion and was put in storage although there is some question as to whether the running gear was properly set up. In any event, she spent 44 years in storage at Rockton. We use her on weekends to power the Three Rivers Ramber at Knoxville and she does just fine hauling four or five lightweight cars. We would be delighted to give readers of this forum a cab ride for the price of a reguar ticket. Please contact us at out website threeriversrambler.com.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:17 am 

203 wrote:
The Washington and Linconton went broke in 1932 or 1933 and sold the engine to Rockton and Rion. She was considered too light to handle the grade up to Rion and was put in storage although there is some question as to whether the running gear was properly set up.
The hill coming east out of Rion averages 1.4% with a couple hundred feet of 2.3% right at the Rion tank. I know they usually doubled the hill with the 19 and 31, hauling 8-10 cars at a time up to the Greenbrier siding then assembling about a 25 car train for the trip to Rockton. I can see where that hill would tax an engine if it wasn't square. The biggest thing we've found with it is that it wears the hell out of brake shoes. The 203 is smaller than the Mikes, but not by that much. The 19 is NOT a large engine. My understanding was that the 203 was acquired primarily as a switcher for the Anderson Quarry switchback -- she could pull stuff up that hill that Willie Mozie's little Wonder Machines couldn't. Maybe they quit using the switchback and therefore the 203 became unnecessary.It still seems odd that they'd cut up the 2700 -- a fairly good-sized Mike -- and leave the 203 in storage. But then, this IS the same outfit that built track with 56# rail going to 105# Dudley in one jump. The Heywards made some very odd decisions!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:46 am 

scrmcurator wrote:
It still seems odd that they'd cut up the 2700 -- a fairly good-sized Mike -- and leave the 203 in storage.
I've long just assumed there was some sentimental attachment. Why else would they let it sit inside, taking up shop space? And keep it until the 1970s?This is a photo I copied from a postcard original in the possession of Walter Clement. My recollection is that he took the photo, but it's possible it was taken by Bill Cannon. It's probably one of the very few photos showing 203 actually in service, and given how clean it is, not long after arrival. (My recollection, again, is that the date is 1933 or 1934.)JACImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:10 pm 

johnacraft wrote:
scrmcurator wrote:
It still seems odd that they'd cut up the 2700 -- a fairly good-sized Mike -- and leave the 203 in storage.
I've long just assumed there was some sentimental attachment. Why else would they let it sit inside, taking up shop space? And keep it until the 1970s?
As I said, the owners of the R&R did some very strange things. If you look at the decisions made over time you have to wonder if anybody in that family was/is sane. Personally I think there's something in the water around here that makes everybody in this county a little peculiar. That or there's some geomagnetic field or something that attracts loonies. The fact that I moved to Winnsboro is good evidence for this latter theory!Thanks for the pic, that's one I didn't have.Out of curiosity -- how does the 203 compare to L&C #40 up at New Hope PA? They look very similar to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:29 pm 

scrmcurator wrote:
Out of curiosity -- how does the 203 compare to L&C #40 up at New Hope PA? They look very similar to me.
203 is practically identical to Mississippian 76 and 77. 40's a bigger locomotive all around. JAC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:20 pm 

scrmcurator wrote:

Do you have any Information on 2700?