It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locomotive weight
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:24 pm 

I am trying to ascertain the locomotive weight, without tender, (for truck transportation purposes), of a Baldwin 2-8-0 which was constructed in 1904 -05. It was originally purchased by the West Virginia Northern Railroad and much later sold to the Preston (WV) Railroad. The only other information I have is the Baldwin construction number which is 28500. It and its identical sister have been purchased by the West Virginia Railroad Museum, Inc. We plan to restore one to operating condition and the other to static display. We are planning to transport both of these locomotives to Elkins, WV from a location near Hyndman, PA. Any information, direction to sources, or other means of obtaining this information will be greatly appreciated. Please reply by email to: jmac@citynet.net, or by USPS to: John McLaughlin 2180 Carpenter Fork Little Birch, WV 26629-9724 Thank you very much.

Post subject: Re: Locomotive weight
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:53 pm 

A quick look over at steamlocomotive.info lists the following information about both locomotives: empty weight 140,000 lbs, weight on drivers 126,000 lbs. Both are listed as having the same weights. I don't know if the "empty weight" listing is for the engine only, but the "weight on drivers" listing is only 14,000 lbs less. It has appeared / occurred to me over the past few years that the individual locomotive listings (at least the original ones--so it seems--history and stat wise) on steamlocomotive.info are actually re-listings (with updates) from Dave Conrad's work. You may want to check with steamlocomotive.info and/or Dave Conrad (at the Valley RR in CT) to find out where these stats came from and if 140,000 lbs is a reasonably accurate figure. BTW, steamlocomotive.info already has the locomotives in Elkins!Good luck with the move and the future restoration work!Regards,Jim Robinson