It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost/Rumor locomotive Update
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 1998 12:10 am 

Since the previous thread on this subject; I have recieved another, well detailed list of "lost locomotives" in USA and Canada. In researching a response, I also "dug up" (excuse the pun) some additional information on the locomotives mentioned. Here is the update:<p>* The "rumored 'Glover locomotive in the weeds/woods' in Northern/Central North Carolina" is said to be abandoned in the woods near Stovall, NC. An individual was able to find tracks in the said location; but if the locomotive exists, it is on private property; and they did not search any further. (I did not add this one.)<p>* Regarding the WP&Y locomotives in the riprap on the Skayway River; #60 and #61 have been removed and are lying on their sides near the old shop and roundhouse; #62 and #67 are still buried. (These are now in the database.)<p>* The locomotive in the Sacramento River is thought to be San Francisco & Alameda RR 4-4-0 "J. G. Kellogg"; built by Stevens in 1868. It later became SP #1100, then sold to the Anderson & Bella Vista RR. It fell off a ferry in 1893; it was discovered in 1970-1971. (Now added.)<p>Altogether, I have about 56 steam locomotive in my database that were buried, sunk, or abandoned; and have been re-discovered or thought to still exist. There are several other lost locomotives I have not added, either because not enough information is available on them; or it has not been confirmed that they exist. They are:<p>1. The one that was supposively sealed up in the Atlantic Ave. Tunnel in Brooklyn, NY. It was derelict when the tunnel was sealed in the 1860's. It still has not been found or removed, to the best of my knowledge; the project seems to be bogged down in politics.<p>2. Two locomotives that went down with the "Clarion" in Lake Erie. I have not been verified they are still there.<p>3. Two locomotives that went down with the "ARUNDO" in the "Mud Hole" off the coast of New Jersey. I do not have any details on these; I assume they are some type of USATC locomotives.<p>4. A geared locomotive, either a Hiesler or Climax, said to be "inside a shed" in KY; not enough information.<p>5. A Philadelphia and New Orleans steam locomotive that went down with the "CIMBUS" off the Florida coast in 1853. The exact location of the ship and the final disposition of the locomotive are not known.<p>6. A Civil War locomotive that sank with a barge off the coast of the Bahamas; it was contraband bound for Cuba. Only the wheels and a few other bits remain.<p>7. The other locomotives mentioned as being buried in fill; not enough information.<p>-James

Surviving World Steam Locomotives for Windows
james1@pernet.net