It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moly grease
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 1998 9:26 pm 

Anyone have experience or knowledge with Moly grease?<br>Just read an account about the restoration and break-in run of T&P 610 to Wichita Falls in 1976 (?) from Ft. Worth. <br>It seems someone sold the restoration group on Moly grease until the engine ran hot. They reverted back to more traditional grease blocks. What would be the "traditional" type lubricant?<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Moly grease
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 1998 8:30 pm 

"Moly" grease is probably the molybdenum disulfide grease widely sold for most greasing applications today -- the black stuff used in automobile wheel bearings and other light applications. Steam-locomotive driver axles and side rods require "hard" grease. In the old days this was Texaco Hi-Tex No. 8 or the equivalent. This is a very hard grease with a lot of soap in it, sold in block form. It is available now only from specialized steam-locomotive suppliers, none of whose names I can recall offhand.<p>Soft grease is readily squeezed out of the loose bearings of a locomotive's side rods by the loads imposed by the pistons, although it can be used to lubricate an engine's rods for towing not under load.<p>Only hard grease can be formed up into the blocks needed for old-style grease cellars. Interestingly, this grease requires the bearings to get warm before it will flow and lubricate. As an engine begins its trip, bearing temperatures may rise and then fall and reach a kind of equilibrium as the grease begins to do its job.<p>Aarne Frobom<br>Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation, Inc.<br>Project 1225<br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 1998 4:42 am 

Just out of curiosity, I whipped out my Shell Lubricants Handbook (we use Shell greases at the airline I work at), and did some checking. There are several Shell products that sound like they might fit the bill:<p>Alvania EP greases: specifically designed for heavy industrial applications which require extreme pressure protection in heavy or shock loading conditions.<p>Darina EP greases: a series of extreme pressure, non-soap grease, made for industrial applications requiring a higher temperature range than is possible with soap-based products; made with non-melting "microgel" inorganic thickener.<p>Retinax HD greases: made with soap thickeners (lithium and calcium) and other additives for excellent extreme pressure and load carrying abilities. Recommended for industrial, mining and construction applications.<p>SuperDuty series: Lithium soap-based greases with 1% molybdinum disulphide and are designed for extreme-pressure industrial applications.<p>Interestingly, there are also three types of grease in the product guide that are specifically for rail applications, although none appear to be candidates for steam equipment:<p>Alvania D grease: a mixed lithium/calcium soap grease specifically designed for rail car journal roller bearings which are not to be field lubed. Meets AAR specifications.<p>Ossagol V grease: calcium soap based, semi-fluid with no additives or fillers, for use in rail and flange lubrication. Suitable for use in locomotive-mounted dispensing systems.<p>Cyprina RA grease: Grade 3 lithium soap grease, specifically designed in diesel-electric locomotive traction motor bearing lubrication, and is approved by both EMD and GE.<br>

amfmx@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 1998 8:50 am 

When I greased our wrecking derrick recently I used Slick 50 OneGrease for all the grease fittings. I'm wondering if this stuff will work out as it is advertised to do. <p>What kind of grease would be reccomended for journal bearings designed TO be field lubed?<p><br>

milw97a@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 1998 6:05 am 

First, I reiterate: I'm not a grease expert, outside the airline world. But refering again to my Shell Lubricants Handbook (a valuable book, by the way, free from your Shell/Royal Lubricants rep), I'd have to guess that Alvania EP-2 or EP-3 would be a likely candidate, based on performance numbers. They are in the same family as the other journal grease, but appear to be for field servicable applications. However, there is no AAR spec mentioned for the EP-2 or -3. Were it me, I'd probably get a hold of AAR Spec M-942-88 and see what it says. The Shell rep could probably give you more accurate info than what I've included here.<br>You might also want to check with Castrol. They don't publicize it much, but their Specialty Products Division produces a whole host of special, application-specific lubricants.<br>

amfmx@earthlink.net