It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frisco Mikado
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:31 pm 

The correct spelling of the town is "Taylorville." The Mike is inside the Illinois & Midland (nee-C&IM) enginehouse. As I recall it was about to be scrapped iat its former Kansas City display site, so at least it is still with us. It is too bad that the owner ran out of money.

Post subject: Re: Locomotive restorations started but abandoned?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 pm 

Not really abandoned, but modified to cosmetic restoration, the ATSF 2912 in Pueblo. CO.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:38 pm 

I hate to say it - given my extreme respect for this outfit - but there are more disassembled steam locomotives at California State RR Museum than I have seen anywhere else - and that includes some notorious northern midwestern locations. I am left to wonder if, back during the gilded age of Reagan as governor, many weren't torn down for survey, and never put back together again after 4466 was the chosen winner?

There's a SP 1200-class 0-6-0 at V&T has been a kit for many years.

dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 pm 

What about the 2 Spot at Mid Continent ? It's a shame the way it sat in pieces, waht's it's status?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 pm 

Kevin:

Taylorville; thanks for the correction. I believe that the Mike was originally on display in a park in Kansas City for over 25 years and deteriorated so much, that it was there that scrapping was considered. But it ended up being saved by some railroad museum in the area (does Smoky Hill or Smokey Hill sound right?) I think it was purchased from that group for the current aborted restoration.

I had also heard that the owner decided to divert his money to another venture. Perhaps that is wrong though.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:29 pm 

Les,

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to those questions. I've lived in Maryland for over 40 years, so my contacts in Taylorville are nonexistent.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:32 pm 

This 2 Spot?
http://www.mcrwy.com/collectn/steam/lc2.html
Unfortunately going to be this way for a long time. It's very low on Mid-Continent's list of priorities.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:59 am 

Narrow-gauge D&RGW C-16 2-8-0 #223 at the Ogden, Utah state railroad museum, sitting disassembled outside for over 10 years now. I believe the tender trucks and maybe some other small items were restored, but no visible progress since then, just more rust.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:46 pm 

In the recent thread on FEC 148, it was brought out that Florida East Coast 4-6-2 # 113 has been in pieces for some time now down at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum in Miami.

Les

Post subject: Lee Tidewater Cypress Co. No. 16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:49 pm 

Unless there has been any recent activity I'm not aware of, I believe Lee Tidewater Cypress Co. No. 16, at the former Kettle Moraine shops belongs on this list also. It's been disassembled for quite a while now.
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1619

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:16 pm 

OK, I'll bite, but this topic may run on until 2007!!!

1. George Harts ex CP 1098(??) formerly of Jim Thorpe, Pa.

2. O. Winston Links 453.

3. You may want to include the ex Morris County Central engines, ex Southern 385 and ex Army, VBR etc /sic 4039, although I don't really know if these were ever actually started to be rebuilt, but were thoroughly examined by reputable restoration people as to feasibility, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:01 pm 

Such a neat looking little locomotive, but what could it do if it was restored?
Could it handle more than one or two heavey weight cars?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:47 pm 

The LINK 453 is on display in New Hartford,NY at K&K Hobby. They received the engine from Link estate and although it is missing some components it is not "diassembled" awaiting restoration. It actually looks pretty good.

Post subject: Re: Locomotive restorations started but abandoned in Calif.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:58 pm 

On my list are the following with most of them at CSRM.

SP1629 at Newhall (Gene Autry's Engine)
Elk River Coal & Lumber Climax #3 at Felton - restoration still a possibility although apart for many years now.
SP 1771 at CSRM formerly at Placerville where it should have stayed.
CP#233 2-6-2T Sac Shops built took in trade from Pacific Locomotive Assn. and was in pieces there for a possible return to operation.
US Army #5014 at CSRM Parts supply for Granite #10
SP#2706 An aborted attempt began here in Santa Cruz and went to GGRM and now stored in the bay area still in pieces.
SP#1227 another teardown at GGRM but now locomotive is on its way to Sierra RR in Oakdale.
State Belt #4 at GGRM who knows what will happen. Major issues occured upon teardown.
SP#2479 at San Jose. Slow progress if any due to potential removal from restoration location in near future.
ST&E#3 at CSRM at complete engine when stored in Stockton until it landed at Sacramento...
Cal Western #14 at Fort Bragg. Sent over by Roots Group and still in pieces.
Steptoe Valley #3 at Niles Canyon. One of the first steamers to operate there after the move but now apart.
Diamond & Caldor #4 in Placerville. Great progress has slowed recently.
Arcata & Mad River #7. Ran for awhile in the early 70's then retired only to be leased for restoration in 1986. Nothing happening.
PALCO#29. Yup gave money to this one and now they are trying to bring back #37 from Deleware with a stop at Strasburg for overhaul.
SP Narrow Gauge #18 at Independance.
There may be others and I am also aware of ones such as Brimstone #35 in Clarksdale that is in pieces but not sure of owners intentions. Would be nice to hear of any updates out there. Some are just long term projects such as Sierra #3 which should have been on back on the rails a long time ago.

Before
[img]http://www.scvhs.org/gif/trainlrg.jpg

After
[/img]http://www.steamlocomotive.info/locomotives/CA0127.JPG

The above is SP#1629 in Newhall
JB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:11 am 

Alex, you and I were thinking of the same engine...92.

It's sad what has been done and not done to this engine....when I first saw it in 1989, it was just sitting on #4 track open to the elements....and there is sat for years....sometimes covered by a tarp, more often not while 98 languished in the back shop. Then after 98 was done in 1992, the hope was 37 would be in and out and then 92 would go in. As we know, that didn't happen and 37 became the new "hanger queen" and it was only in 1998 that 37 was dragged out of the shops to facilitate the rebuild of 98.

#92 was put in on track 3 for a bit in 1996(?) and was needle scaled and primed almost entirely by one volunteer. After 98 went out of service it took it's place on track 2, the 58 came which bumped 92 back outside, this time to track 1 ....then is really when the railroad saw the need for the additional shop facility....of course wich was built over track 5.

At some point, 92 again tooks its "place" on track 4 while the 37 was taken do the M&M siding for storage, now awaiting it's eventual move to SRR for rebuild and then to CA.

Word from Steve is 92 is next in the shop. While the devestations the railroad has faced over the last few years have been hard, it has opened up to the community and government what a treasure they actually have there in that little neck of the woods. Funding was started years ago and was fairly large at one point, all things considering, but then the S**T hit the fan with the floods and all focus went to the right of way.

It is my hope that this is not just more of the same "talk" I heard for 92 over the 13 years I was down there volunteering. The one way I'm personally looking at it, there really isn't anything left down there that needs a "rebuild" as far as their day to day operating equipment now. So, this might just be this poor engines final turn in the shops!

*Keeps fingers crossed*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next