It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Locomotive restorations started but abandoned?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:33 am 

Another one has occurred to me. The 2-4-4-2 compound Mallet originally built in 1909 for the Little River Railroad in Tennessee as their # 126. It turned out to be a bit heavy for the LRRR and it was returned to Baldwin and a lighter 2-4-4-2 ordered instead. The 126 was resold by Baldwin out west and worked for a number of different companies in Oregon and Washington usually carrying the number 7. As Deep River Logging Company #7, the engine derailed and tipped over and was abandoned still laying on her side in the woods when DRLC pulled up its line. She was eventually rescued and a number of times has been rumoured to being rebuilt but the last I heard, she still remained in pieces. Not sure just where she sits today or who her current owner is. Maybe someone can give us an update.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:16 pm 

The "Skookum has been sold to Chris Baldo of Willits, CA. He is a big player in the Roots of Motive Power Museum there and owns an operable 2-6-2T which was restored at Mt. Rainier Scenic. Currently the 2-4-4-2 is in Tillimook, Or. back under restoration. The above pic shows the engine in pieces at Mineral, Wa.

JB

Post subject: Re: Lee Tidewater Cypress Co. No. 16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:33 pm 

I believe the LTC #16 was sold to an individual near Elgin or Aurora, Ill. Last I asked about it, the owner hadn't done anything with it yet. He was deeply involved with another project at the time. Sounded like the owner knew what he was doing, so maybe it has a future. Don't know the owner, but this was the impression I got. John.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:52 pm 

There are a few of us that want to do something with this engine. I wanted to at least get the parts out of the mud and inventory them, put them under cover. At least the smaller parts. I ran into a problem getting anybody to say it was ok for me to do this, most because nobody could give me a place to go with the parts. I would like to do this first and maybe blast and paint the parts at the same time. I also would like to put it back together with the idea of running it. So many parts are missing that to do a proper cosmetic restoration you will be more then half way there anyway. Right now the pistons and rods are missing, crown brasses are gone for starters. I am pissed off about all of this trust me. I understand how the engine got this way, and that it was dropped off on the property in a pile of parts. But there is no excuse for leavine the parts sit and disappear in the mud and stay out in the elements for close to 30 years now. I would be more gungho on this, but I am trying to help the owner of the Polson get his engine back together and will help out with the Monreal #1 anyway I can too. Those engines have priority in my book, but inventory and getting the remaining parts under a roof {box car/baggage car}, sealing up the cyl's and boiler I would gladly do for now. There is a fantastic tool and die maker who is a go getter and knows how to get work done that is interested in doing this engine too. Between the two of us we could really make headway with the original #2 Spot.

I had to let go of this project for the time being though. My back has beeng giving me problems for the last 6 months. Plus I am starting school this summer and quitting my current job. Money will be tight for me and I don't know if I will have much time to spend at MC for the next year. But, once again I stress, that a few or even a couple of guys who are committed and centered on a project can make things happen. Learning to check your ego's at the door and get to working together is the key. Make it happen! I hope to see this one back together someday, by hook or crook.

Slowly stepping down off my soap box, John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:34 pm 

Alright, so it's no superpower, but it comes to mind...

Former Eastlake Park Railway #1903/occasional Venice Railway #3 (18" gauge) at the Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad, Los Gatos, CA. Acquired on long-term lease about 1972 repowered by Ford Model A engine and boiler long gone (running gear tired, but intact), steps towards restoration begun. Construction of a new boiler was started, but never finished. The new pilot constructed for the #3 was put on BJWRR #2 (ex-VMR #2) after the 1978 enginehouse fire. The engine was finally purchased outright by BJWRR from its owner in Oregon in 2002.

There has been renewed interest in making something of this 105-year-old pile of parts. As the prototype for the pair of 2-6-2s to follow, the #3 has many flaws not evident on its newer, more perfected siblings. What is unique about the #3 is that (in 1901) it was built with a primitive variation of Walschaerts valve gear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:26 pm 

New Hope and Ivyland 4-6-0 #1533
New Hope and Ivyland 0-6-0 #9

Ex-LS&I, Marquette & Huron Mountain 2-8-0 #23 (?) now in Kingston, New York.

Maine Central 2-8-0 #501 at North Conway, N. H.

Post subject: Re: A&WP 290
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:07 am 

Dismantled for full operational overhaul in 1992, still apart with some damage done in the atempts at reassembly......nothing to major yet though.

Post subject: Perceptions, was stalled locomotives in CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Admin

This can be a dangerous thread. One persons stalled locomotive is another person’s ongoing project. There are good reasons locomotive restorations take time, and good reasons that work is suspended occasionally.

Both State Belt 4 and the SP 2706 continue to make progress, and both were recently moved to a nearby restoration site with the loss of the shops at Hunters Point. An inspection of both as they moved showed lots of progress and organization (palletized parts, well organized, especially the 2706) The 4’s cylinder problems have been solved, and running gear reassembly is underway.

The CP 223 has been traded to CSRM because it isn’t a viable operational restoration project, and will become a static display. CSRM didn’t disassemble it.

The US Army engine at CSRM was purchased for parts only, no restoration is or ever was planned.

The group in San Jose continues to make slow progress with 2479, despite the move.

Sierra 3 is on hold awaiting an infusion of $$.

SPng 18 in Independence is a complete runable loco, with no place to go.

As noted D&C 4 makes slow progress, and again, there is no place to run it at this time.

As noted there are other hanger queens at CSRM (I don’t know their stories well enough to comment) and at Felton (The climax and small shay don’t have a clear cut economic role, so only see work on a time available basis, but Roaring Camp has previously restored their Baldwin 0-4-2t which also doesn’t have an economic roll, again slowly on a time available basis)

PLA has several locos in pieces, including Steptoe, but only Steptoe (and maybe CP 223, now at CSRM) can be categorized as stalled. The others continue to see regular work, including the Robert Dollar engine which might have been categorized as stalled when at Rio Vista, but is getting close to operation.

I suggest we be careful about quick lists of problems, without discussion of reasons.

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:04 am 

Not sure where you got the "damaged in reassembly" part. That being said, the main reason nothing major has been done with 290 is that there is simply no where to run it. It would make no sense at all to restore 290 to service to putt around on the property. With major renovation efforts being done to both exhibit halls in the past few years, there was no sense in putting it back together for static display with no where available to display it (under cover, that is). The running gear HAS been fully reassembled, and full cosmetic restoration will be completed when our operating steam locomotive has completed its overhaul.

Post subject: Re: Perceptions, was stalled locomotives in CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:15 am 

Randy:

I don't see this as being a "dangerous" thread. What IS dangerous, is if no one from a project reports here on RyPN of its status. This is a problem that RyPN has. I know that there are groups and organizations that have no one from that group or organization that reads RyPN. At least none that have reported in the past. So.....if, in this case, the subject is locomotive restoration projects that are started and then abandoned, then it is up to someone to report that "no, the project is not abandoned, just currently on hold, for (whatever reason.)" For instance, you have addressed this with your reply to a number of locomotives out west. Others have said yes, the restoration was halted but that the locomotive has been restored cosmetically and is now on display. These are the type of replies needed to let us know what is going on (or has gone on) with these projects.

What I see as more of a problem, is a reply on RyPN where we don't know what the subject is. For instance, "X" replies that we are doing this or that, or plan to do this or that, to the locomotive. BUT, we don't know what locomotive "X" is talking about because he (or she) doesn't say so in the reply. They answer the original question, but in the meantime one or two (or more) comments have come in and we, the reader, don't understand which locomotive the reply is meant for. Not sure how this could be taken care of other than to ask that responders address what project or locomotive they are talking about.

On the whole, I think that this thread has been interesting and informative. There has been no incidents of "flaming", just reporting on the subject. I hope that the thread continues, but of course, you must do what you think is right.

Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:51 pm 

Randy, nothing "dangerous" was ever meant by this thread. It is to engage in an update. I do get around to many of the places and know a great many and have been associated with RC in the past. There is an update there as of yesterday but I am unable to post at this time.

Please do not "read" anything other than good intentions with NO FLAMES as requested in the beginning of this thread.

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:04 pm 

Does CSRM own the last SP F-7 which was partially stripped (sidepanels, etc) ?

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:03 pm 

I would agre with Mr. Durden. There has been no damage to 290 to my knowledge.

The engine in Atlanta that has sat awaiting a restoration, for cosmetic at least, is Southern 1509 "Maud."

Poor Southern 722 I fear is in for a long wait to be finished.

Jason Greene

Post subject: Re: A&WP 290/SRR 0-4-4RT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:21 am 

Jason:

Interesting that you should mention Southern # 1509 "Maud." I never thought of her being restored to service. But then again, considering that her duties would only be to putter around the museums little bit of track hauling a caboose or two, I guess it would make sense. Plus, she sure the heck is a locomotive with Georgia ties! Not sure what kind of mechanical shape she is in. Has anyone at SERM ever seriously checked her out?

Les

Post subject: Frank Kepner's Engine Collection
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:45 am 

Frank Kepner seems to own a lot of engines that are in some stage of being torn apart or rebuilt?? There is a website http://www.sunsetd.com/~ryan/steam/ that shows many of his engines in a sad state. Does anyone know what is going on with these engines or what Mr. Kepner's plan is? There are many interesting engines in his collection and it seems that they are "sinking" into the mud.

GN 1246 in many, many pieces.

Greg U.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next