It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost Shay?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 1998 9:48 am 

Does anyone know the status of a supposedly lost shay locomotive frame and running gear that was supposed to be abandoned on the bank of the Trinity River in Southeastern Texas?<br>

gumworks@eaze.net

Post subject: Re: Lost Shay?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 1998 10:34 pm 

This is new to me; I live in the SE Texas area.<p>I'll see what I can find out.<p>-James

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

Post subject: Re: Lost Shay?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 1998 1:46 am 

I think this is a Climax half buried in the riverbank on an island used as a resort. Never seen it, would like to hear confirmation or better info.<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: Now a lost Climax?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 1998 2:29 am 

This sounds like the two-truck Climax, built in 1893, that was at the Chain-O-Lakes Resort in Ramayor, TX.<p>I visited that resort about two years ago; and could not find it. I asked about it, and was told it had gone to Canada.<p>I don't think it was ever buried or sunk. It had been through several owners.<p>-James Hefner

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 1998 8:27 am 

The Chain-O-Lakes locomotive is indeed now in Canada, at Three Valley Gap, British Columbia. The 1895 Climax is displayed with various other equipment, including a former Allied Chemical and Dye 0-4-0T and the private car Eatonia, which once belonged to Canadian deparment store magnate Sir John C. Eaton. <br>Incidentally, there is another lost Shay in British Columbia, this one at Beaver Cove on Vancouver Island. It&#146;s a three-truck, 75-ton Shay, ex-Beaver Cove Lumber and Pulp No. 6. Apparently, it was retired in 1936, fell off a barge and now is supposedly visible at low tide near the shore. I was out at Beaver Cove this spring but didn&#146;t see it; anyone out there have pixs?<br>Kevin<br>

kfranchu@cadvision.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 1998 3:02 am 

<br>L&RP ran a photo of the beached shay some years ago, but I don't have my index to say which issue. There were supposedly two shays that fell off the barge; the other one remains submerged. They were being hauled out for scrap after the lumber operation closed.<br>

ryarger@together.net