It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glover engine runs again!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:15 pm 

Found a rather surprising entry on the Ahead of the Torch website this morning of a Glover 0-6-0T being steamed for, what was described as, the first time in 70 years! The locomotive is Glover c/n 13186 originally built for the Cherokee Brick Company. The number plate on number 6 says 1916, and owner Mike Buckner also says it was built in 1916, although J. David Conrad reported it as being built in 1919. Either way, it was good to see the engine running over this 1/2 mile of private trackage. Mr. Buckner says they are located in Junction City, Georgia. Here is the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxPNdOT4seE

The engine is missing its saddle tank and headlight but looks and sounds good. Note the "home made" riding car behind the 0-6-0, which apparently also has a tank for water. Very nice to add this to the list of steamers running in the "post-steam" era.

Les

Post subject: Re: Glover engine runs again!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:10 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Found a rather surprising entry on the Ahead of the Torch website this morning of a Glover 0-6-0T being steamed for, what was described as, the first time in 70 years! The locomotive is Glover c/n 13186 originally built for the Cherokee Brick Company. The number plate on number 6 says 1916, and owner Mike Buckner also says it was built in 1916, although J. David Conrad reported it as being built in 1919. Either way, it was good to see the engine running over this 1/2 mile of private trackage. Mr. Buckner says they are located in Junction City, Georgia. Here is the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxPNdOT4seE

The engine is missing its saddle tank and headlight but looks and sounds good. Note the "home made" riding car behind the 0-6-0, which apparently also has a tank for water. Very nice to add this to the list of steamers running in the "post-steam" era.

Les

Weren't there two of those engines down in Georgia from Cherokee Brick?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:24 pm 

Was that Jason S. in the cab?
And what is the other engine in the background.

Wesley

Last edited by wesp on Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:46 am 

Wow. I didn't think this was something I'd ever see.

The other engine is probably the 0-2-0 sister to the operating one with two axles removed a very long time ago.

Also, a reminder that I'm getting old...... but a good one. Thanks to all that made it happen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:58 am 

I'm trying to figure out what sounds like a Shay exhaust, even when sitting. Air Pump?
Time to work on the packing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:45 am 

Frisco1522 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what sounds like a Shay exhaust, even when sitting. Air Pump?

That does sound like an air pump, doesn't it? I think there could be other stuff that was there running through... The look on the other side didn't show a compressor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:08 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
Frisco1522 wrote:

That does sound like an air pump, doesn't it? I think there could be other stuff that was there running through... The look on the other side didn't show a compressor.

The other sound that threw me on the video, was the locomotive bell that was ringing. Couldn't see where it was located on Glover number 6, but finally figured out that they must have been ringing the bell on the other locomotive that is seen sitting in the background.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:55 pm 

I see what appears to be an "alligator" steam pump on the right running board of this locomotive. I'm pretty sure that sound like a Shay emanated from it. I cannot imagine this locomotive was equipped with that pump in lieu of injectors when built.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:57 pm 

Dave you know much about any remaining Glover engines. So was there two or three Cherokee Brick engines all 0-6-0s? I thought two were complete and one had started to be cannibalized for axles and parts? Always wandered what became of them as they had lasted am thinking till the mid/late 1960s when Trains Magazine did story on Glover. My memory is kaput so going back to an issue of trains from 1960s is a long stretch.

I had a letter to and from both Cherokee Brick and Holly Hill Lumber Co about acquisitioning a Glover engine. Obviously that never happened with my involvement. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:00 pm 

According to steamlocomotive.com, there are 6 Glovers remaining. Pretty cool to see one of them running.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/survivor ... buildDate=

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:41 pm 

G. W. Laepple wrote:
I see what appears to be an "alligator" steam pump on the right running board of this locomotive. I'm pretty sure that sound like a Shay emanated from it. I cannot imagine this locomotive was equipped with that pump in lieu of injectors when built.

OK, I know I've heard that term before somewhere, but I can't place it. What exactly is it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:24 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
OK, I know I've heard that term before somewhere, but I can't place it. What exactly is it?

It's a small steam operated water pump. In this case it seems to be being used in place of an injector.

Roger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:53 pm 

They are also known as "steam lizards". It was common to have the duplex pumps for water on cranes and donkey engines in the logging industry so why not the locos?
And yes, that is Jason running for them.........mld

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:11 pm 

whodom wrote:
According to steamlocomotive.com, there are 6 Glovers remaining. Pretty cool to see one of them running.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/survivor ... buildDate=

Thanks for this Hugh. It points out that Mr. Buckner also has Cherokee Brick number 7 and most likely explains the steam locomotive boiler which is slightly visible in one scene of the video. Also, the photos show the "square" water tank that went on the boiler which, along with the original flat roof on the engine, had to be for a clearance problem at Cherokee's site.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:32 am 

John Risley wrote:
Dave you know much about any remaining Glover engines. So was there two or three Cherokee Brick engines all 0-6-0s? I thought two were complete and one had started to be cannibalized for axles and parts? Always wandered what became of them as they had lasted am thinking till the mid/late 1960s when Trains Magazine did story on Glover. My memory is kaput so going back to an issue of trains from 1960s is a long stretch.

I had a letter to and from both Cherokee Brick and Holly Hill Lumber Co about acquisitioning a Glover engine. Obviously that never happened with my involvement. Regards, John.

Oh boy, John.... let's see: A very long time ago when I had a dark brown beard and hair I visited the Cherokee Brick plant during the time I was restoring 81421 for the City of Marietta, in company with Dick Hillman and M K O'Toole. Mr Dunwoody, of the Cherokee Brick family met us there and among other things told us that the engine missing two axles had donated them to keeping one of their diesel dinkies in service. There were the two only squashed down 0-6-0Ts, now at you know where, rusting away next to an access road with a tree about 6" in diameter growing up from below the frame between the rails up and around the smokebox, which gives some idea as to how long they had been sitting there. They were equipped with injectors and I think a dynamo and headlight but memory is cloudy..... the Holly Hill engine was privately owned in Ohio and recently auctioned off to somewhere. It sat at a theme park called Six Gun Territory in Florida in company with a Baldwin 2-4-2 from the same lumber outfit, also owned by Mike Buckner last I knew. The brickyard donated the 0-6-0Ts to the Georgia Agrirama but they are narrow gauge so they seem to have gone to a more useful place now. BTW, this isn't a restoration but an adaptive reuse as some substantial alterations from original design were apparently made during the project. Other Glover engines are in Kennesaw and one was in Ecuador but may have moved - perhaps Sammy knows some up to date information on it's disposition.