It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saltair Open Cars
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 1998 1:25 pm 

Greetings! Your discussion on adding seats to flatcars brought to mind the 12 cars operated by Saltair (Salt Lake, Garfield & Western RR). These were 54 foot flatcars with crossbenches to hold 100 seated passengers and 3 steps on each side that were said to be able to carry 150 standees. I'm curious as to the disposition of these cars. I know that the Heber Creeper RR in Utah had two of them. One was sold to the Western Ry Museum in Rio Vista. Is the other one still at the Heber Creeper or has it gone elsewhere? Also, two are owned by the RLHS and are displayed in Utah. Does anybody know where?<br>Thanks!<br>

Charlesebrown@webtv.net

Post subject: Re: Saltair Open Cars
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 1998 7:57 am 

Last time I was at Heber there was still one open car on the old Heber Creeper property. The other two cars are in Salt Lake City, in storage at an industrial park served by the SLG&W. They are owned by the Promontory Chapter, NRHS. <p>Jeff Terry<br>

lineside@railfan.com

Post subject: Re: Saltair Open Cars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 1998 6:06 pm 

<br>Thanks, Jeff! Good to know that they're still around. I always thought that they would make ideal excursion cars for a tourist railroad.<br>

Charlesebrown@webtv.net