It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Curb Your Docents
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 am 

As for the reasons that trolleys disappeared, my belief has been more that it had to do with the requirement of utilities to divest themselves of their electric railway operations. The profit that was generated by the utility side of the house allowed the companies to improve the transit side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 pm 

And possibly one reason why this law was enacted was the fear by East Coast financial interests in the quick rise to wealth and control that was achieved by Insull and other electric power magnates. There seems to be more behind the story.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:44 pm 

Hard to get decent docents. Some of them are just somebody looking for something to do and to be relevant. Others fancy themselves to be the ultimate experts.
The curators should occasionally go with the groups and listen and either unload them or train them better. These guys are the exception.
During my 18 years with 1522, I heard the whole gamut of world class authorities bloviating about our engine. You just have to sigh and move on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:12 pm 

NJ's Public Service converted almost completely to bus (Newark City Subway excepted) and ran one of the most efficient and reliable transit operations around.

It appears to me the triad of lightweight monocoque carbody, 471/671 diesel and Spicer hydraulic transmission led to a vehicle that was simple and efficient enough to pay its acquisition and operating costs and make a profit for the company.

Sorry to be the iconoclast.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm 

EJ Berry wrote:
NJ's Public Service converted almost completely to bus (Newark City Subway excepted) and ran one of the most efficient and reliable transit operations around.

It appears to me the triad of lightweight monocoque carbody, 471/671 diesel and Spicer hydraulic transmission led to a vehicle that was simple and efficient enough to pay its acquisition and operating costs and make a profit for the company.

Sorry to be the iconoclast.

Phil Mulligan

I would have to agree with that. I've been working on our TGH-3102 for the last five years making various repairs (including repainting) as we have had funds become available. The bus was built in October 1960 and delivered new to Old Pueblo Transit Company here in Tucson, Arizona. I am the primary driver and love how the coach handles. It is also very easy to maintain due to the design of the vehicle (plus we have the service and parts manuals).