It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wabash 1009
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:44 pm 

EMD's 10,000th unit, shown here in one of the later quick-dip economy paint jobs of the late-50s. Now at VMT in Roanoke, said to be in pretty bad shape.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?j ... o.1009.jpg

Post subject: PIC's of the Wabash E8 over the past 20 years...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:39 am 

Here are views of the Wabash E-8 1009 over the last 20 years, Enjoy (I had typed a longer version of this posting but by the time I added my images the page timed out and I lost all my work, oh well)

June 1986

September 2nd 1988

Wabash E-8 as seen parked out side the VMofT back fence, as if the back lot was not enough now their off the property.

Wabash E-8 1009 & RF&P E-8 as seen in the middle of the Roanoke Hump Yard in Roanoke VA, current view. These two units as well as other pieces of equipment are being stored in the middle of the Roanoke Yard on a deal for two years of storage in the NS yard as long as they are not moved for any reason in those two years. Other units out in the yard are the following:
CofG SD-9 #201
ERIE/Conrail SDP-45 #6670
N&W 200ton crane & tender
E.J.Levino 0-6-0 #34
N&W PG coach
VGN Hopper
(Maybe a couple of more can't remember off hand)

Enjoy the update on this Historic unit!

Post subject: Re: PIC's of the Wabash E8 over the past 20 years...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:17 am 

Mr.Pullman wrote:
Here are views of the Wabash E-8 1009 over the last 20 years, Enjoy (I had typed a longer version of this posting but by the time I added my images!

Yeah, this has happened to me a few times. Very aggravating!

Thanks very much for the update on 1009 and the list of equipment. Does the museum intend to restore the two E's?

Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:37 am 

Thanks Steven for the update on Wabash 1009
Tom Travis

Post subject: Highest and best use?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:29 pm 

In my opinion, would be at the head of an excursion/dinner train based on the Wabash Bluebird, which consisted mostly of dome cars and a diner. I don't know if all these cars still exist, but it would be a short day train with good tourist amenities. The CB&Q's Twin Cities Zephyr (which had good scenery along the Mississippi) is a similar example that could be recreated relatively accurately and still suitable for modern purposes. Given peoples busy lives these days, the trips would likely not cover the whole original route and might be by rail just one-way, with return via another means, perhaps visiting other sites on the way.

Longer distance trains, which usually included sleepers, would be more difficult to make work. As much as we admired flagship trains like the California Zephyr, it likely would not be a practical train to operate today in its original configuration.

http://home.comcast.net/~wabashrr/images/bluebrd1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~wabashrr/images/bluebrd2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~wabashrr/images/bluebrd3.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:20 pm 

Quote:
N&W 200ton crane & tender

Steven;

Could you please elaborate some more on this one. It is not listed on a list of preserved rail cranes that was sent to me; if it's steam powered, it belongs on my list as well. Thank you in advance.

I guess no new news on the N&W steam crane at Virginia Metal's other yard?

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:07 am 

Les

I sent you a PM on some of this topic...But the long and short of it is that from my point of view the future of these two units are very questionable! As the various railroad related groups in the area are in a flux them selves. I'm interested to see how this ultimately turns out. For now I'm worried

Post subject: VMofT Cranes Big and Small maybe even a Steam...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:38 am 

James

Oddly enough I don't have the appropriate information to readily pass along to you on this crane as I've always just passed it by in the museum and never really paid it much attention. The Virginia Museum of Transportation at this time has two wreck crane sets; presently the larger and newer crane a modern 250ton wreck crane and flat boom-tender are in the museum on display. The other crane is a smaller diesel 160Ton (Ex-steam?) crane and flat car are now stored with other equipment in the middle of the Roanoke Hump Yards. Most likely the decision was made to place the smaller crane in off site storage of the two due to its greater deteriorated condition. (Pealing paint and surface rust) The Larger crane was kept on site as it was a more recent donation from NS and is in much better condition.

The third crane you reference is the steam crane that is STILL located in what is now a vacant lot of what used to be the Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal site 2. The crane is virtually the last metal object left on the multi acre site having already had it Asbestos removed “professionally”, as for what’s in store for the Steam crane I'm not sure. Our group contacted the executor of the Scrap yards estate to express interest in the crane and if any thing provide our assistance over seeing the removal of the Asbestos to ensure no damage was done to the unit. Our offers were turned down and I have yet to get reports on the cranes present condition. Access to the site is now very limited due to the clean up of the land in preparation for take over by it's new owner (Another scrap metal dealer) Word has it that the new owner is looking to re-activate the rail siding onto the property for scrap use and if that is the plan it is possible that the crane could be removed from the property on it's own wheels once the siding is re-attached. But for now the ultimate demise for the crane is unknown and the plans of the new land owner are unclear as well. I'll keep you posted once the conditions change.

Attached is a link to the smaller crane that was once on display in the Museum back lot now in storage off site.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nw/nw514902acl.jpg

Smaller N&W Crane 160Ton with wreck flat car. (I was under the impression this might have been a heavier crane as originally stated but I'm reading 160Ton)

Post subject: Re: VMofT Cranes Big and Small maybe even a Steam...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:35 pm 

OK; that is 160 ton steam crane #514902, ex #4968. I had it listed at the Museum; I did not know it was moved to off-storage. Another visitor took a picture of it when it was still on the museum grounds. Thanks for the update.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

Post subject: Wabash 1009 for sale?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:27 pm 

Can anyone confirm that there is an offer to buy Wabash 1009 before the VMT Board right now? I understand the offer came from someone in Illinois.

Post subject: Re: Wabash 1009 for sale?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:33 pm 

I remember visiting the museum in the late '80's and seeing this unit - I cannot believe how bad it has become.

Post subject: Re: Wabash 1009 for sale?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:19 pm 

Looks like an opportunity to build a "visible E-unit" like the F-unit demonstrators with removable side panels that EMD sent around to state fairs and railroad supply shows in the 1940s.