It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanksgiving thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:24 pm 

Hi folks,

While much is lost or scrapped from the field of railroad history and related hardware,there is much that has been saved.

In my two areas of interest: electric traction and narrow gauge steam there is much good work being done.

Just some random thoughts; Colorado Railroad Museum has a new library and archives, loop track and restoration building. Two or more of Colorado's park display engines are being worked over.

The WP&Y 69 is going back to Alaska.

In Maine the preservation of the two foot gauge is going strong. The WW&F has a new bridge and a lot of new track.

There is a new electric museum in Scranton, a new site under way at the PA Trolley Museum, Seashore is looking forward and restoring many cars like that motor and trailer from Cleveland.

At my own museum, Western Railway Museum, we have a new visitor center and just last week new electrified track went into service to bring the cars closer to it. Wood Interurban 1005 is moving along nicely with frame restoration and lots of new wood.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and thanks for your thought here they sure do make good reading!

Ted Miles

ted_miles@NPS.gov

Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 5:20 pm 

All depends on your point of view...

Manifest destiny was a wonderful thing unless you were a Native American.

And similar thoughts on achievements at Rio Vista. Was the result worth the costs -- financial and personnel? Not from this side of the turkey...

pullman@privatecarservice.net

Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:12 pm 

Attempting to keep a positive theme here: Another Beyer Garrett was restored to steam in Kenya; the sugar harvest with steam in Cuba and Indonesia went surprisingly well (all things considered); and diesels have been tested on Jingpeng Pass and found wanting, so some areas in China will retain steam for a few more years.

Here in the states; from what I read, it sounds like tourist railways and museums have not faired as bad as other parts of the tourism industry following 9/11. Thomas continues to chase aways the "blues" at museums across the country as well as inspire a new generation, and while equipment continues to be shuffled around as museums reshape and define their collections; it sounds like the number of losses have been small.

I for one have much to be thankfull for; I am still self-employeed after losing my job of 12 years at the beginning of this year, and a small spat of purchases of "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" last month ended on a positive note what would have been a quarter of zero sales. It looks like "Surviving World Steam Vehicles" will go out with nearly 10,000 vehicles and 200+ photographs to all who contributed at the end of this month, with sales to the general public next month and in 2002. (Too much stuff coming in to get it all together in time for Christmas.)

A blessed and safe Thanksgiving season to one and all. Thanks to all who have made this board a usefull, friendly, and interesting place to share.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net