It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GE 25 tonner information
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:05 pm 

When Lake Shore Railway Historical Society got their 25-tonner from Ellwood Steel, I found a set of maintenance manuals for it and scanned the entire manual for them. Not sure if same 25-tonner. Lake Shore has the digital scanned copy of it available (their property now) - check in with them - the picture of their running unit is athttp://lakeshorerailway.com/rolling-stock-of-lsrhs/

Theirs is a 1950 build.

It's a pretty good manual, basically aimed at industries that had no clue how to maintain one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:40 pm 

Randy Hees wrote:
A friend has a 3’ gauge GE 25 ton 1948 unit with a single traction motor, and a Cummings 6 cyl diesel engine on his new tourist railroad, the Kauai Plantation Railway in Hawaii. If available he would love documentation on the electrical system. He notes “our engine has gone through so darn many "fixes" in the wiring that it is a total mess - we want to re-do most of the primary wiring, but are afraid to because we have no way to know how to hook it up again!! We don't know of the present way it is wired is "stock", or some sort of field-mod done by the several previous owners.”

This is the former Arkansas Lime loco. His other loco is a 1939 Whitcomb diesel mechanical he purchase from the SPCRR at Ardenwood. There are also 2 Baldwin Hawaiian 6 coupled tank locomotives, located in the Philippines, which are awaiting rebuilding in California.

More information on his line found at http://www.kauaiplantationrailway.com/

I have ridden on that railroad in Kauai. I have the manual for a 23/25 ton GE engine. We are in the process of restoring it now. The original engine was replaced by a Cummins NHC-250 in the 70's.
If you want a copy, please e-mail me at highlandpark@mindspring.com
While I was there I took a picture of the diesel. I could see the Cummins nameplate on it. I also have the Cummins manual for the NHC-250.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:43 pm 

Dave wrote:
Just beginning work on 1948 GE class B-50 / 50-1 GE733 25 ton diesel electric locomotive (CN 29241).

My library includes manuals for 44 tonners of that era and larger - can anybody help me out with a manual for this little critter?

dave

Some nice person here sent me a copy of the manual. I would be happy to e-mail you a copy. my e-mail is highlandpark@mindspring.com
The attached picture is of one similar to ours.

Attachments:
cge_1.jpg
cge_1.jpg [ 109.96 KiB | Viewed 3168 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 pm 

Thanks, but that's a decade later than I posted the request. It's really been that long.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:25 pm 

Dave wrote:
Thanks, but that's a decade later than I posted the request. It's really been that long.....

I am so sorry, Dave I did not look at when the post was made

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 am 

No worries, a kind offer is welcome no matter when it arrives. I did get the information I needed back then.