It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where did I take these two photos?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:01 pm 

I am serious. I came upon these two photos in a group of store-processed 620 prints including some of the derailment on the Reader Railroad and shots on the CTA "L", so I assume they were taken by me, but I cannot recall where they were taken. I suspect they were taken around 1965. I recognize BEDT 14, but she has had air brakes added (BEDT steam had no air brakes). It is possible they were taken at the M&PA in York, but if so they should have been with the rest of my photos of the RDG 1271.

That is another CPR tender in front of BEDT 14. Hope someone can solve the mystery, as I'm having a senior moment here.

Post subject: Re: Where did I take these two photos?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:21 pm 

The Ma & Pa yard in York may be accurate. At one time both the 972 and a saddle-tank engine, were used on excursions on the line operated by Rail Tours. -- Ray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:40 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I can reasonably guarantee you that these are photos of 14 and 972 in storage at York, Pa., in between Rail Tours excursions on the Ma & Pa and WM. I think I recognize the buildings/structures in the background from photos taken of those trips around 1967. CP 972 and 1286, BEDT 14, and Reading 1251 were all around York in the 1965-1967 era, and I think that's 1286's tender coupled to BEDT 14 in that photo (note capped stack).

Your money back if I'm wrong. <:-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:54 pm 

Thank you both. The photos were evidently taken from this train when I rode it in 1966.

What ever happened to the three steam locomotives? Looks to me like the 972 would make a great excursion engine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:14 pm 

thirdrail wrote:
What ever happened to the three steam locomotives? Looks to me like the 972 would make a great excursion engine.

BEDT 14 under slow restoration by Ulster and Delaware Railroad Historical Society.

CPR 972 now owned by Strasburg Railroad, stored disassembled behind locomotive shop. No plans to work on it in the forseeable future, as present operable locomotives are adequate for current traffic levels.

CPR 1286 owned by Jack Showalter, stored nearlry servicable in central VA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:04 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
And Reading 1251 (former shop switcher, shown in the other photo) is now at the RR Museum of Pa. in Strasburg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 pm 

Hi All,

From my research to date, that location is York, PA; ca. 1964-65, after George Hart purchased 14 (and 13 for that matter) from BEDT. 13 had been shipped ahead of 14 (but it did not go to same place as 14), as 14 was one of the last two BEDT saddletankers to cease steam operations on BEDT. (16 ceased operation same day: October 25, 1963)

I have a few pix of 14 at that York, PA location on my website:

http://members.aol.com/bedt14/BEDTRosters.html

Just click on the number 14 in the index to take you to that chapter. At the bottom of her spec list, will be a number 14 build plate that you can click on to take you to 14's photo album.

Enjoy!

Phil

Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal, East River Terminal & Palmers Dock; A Comprehensive History: 1870-1983
http://members.aol.com/bedt14/BEDT.html