It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NOT-Buried Steam Locomotives and a J1 at that!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:02 pm 

> Save your shovels for coal or snow.

> The PRRT&HS members on their e-group
> confirm that this rumor arose from the wreck
> of two-month-old J1a 6423 on Sept. 20, 1943.
> The loco was, somewhat incredibly (according
> to those who saw photos, and describe the
> wreckage as a very sad sight indeed) rebuilt
> and restored to service.

> These members have also tracked down several
> other rumors of buried PRR steamers over the
> decades, and come up with documentation that
> all alleged grave victims were salvaged for
> scrap or operation.
Another one of lifes greatest mysteries solved!!!!! What is it they say??? "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!!!"

drotarinoh@webtv.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:50 am 

Yeah, another little dream bubble burst (sigh!). But for a few days, it was a lovelydream to get lost in. I hope the PRRT&HS hasn't looked inside every abandoned mill and barn in Pennsylvania quite yet.

glueck@saturn.caps.maine.edu

Post subject: J1a #6423 restored to service
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:25 pm 

> The PRRT&HS members on their e-group
> confirm that this rumor arose from the wreck
> of two-month-old J1a 6423 on Sept. 20, 1943.
> The loco was, somewhat incredibly (according
> to those who saw photos, and describe the
> wreckage as a very sad sight indeed) rebuilt
> and restored to service.

> other rumors of buried PRR steamers over the
> decades, and come up with documentation that
> scrap or operation.

ADM4 - Thanks for the info on the wreck of the Pennsy 2-10-4. It is not surprising that being wrecked in September of 1943 it was rebuilt and restored to service. In those World War II days, the Pennsy needed every good locomotive it could get, especially one that was only two months old! You mention that the PRRT&HS members researched this wreck. Can you tell me who to contact or how to get ahold of them; I would like some additional information on the incident.

THANKS!

Les Beckman (HVRM)

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Buried Steam Locomotives
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:54 pm 

This "buried locomotives" inventory of fact and fiction can be, I suppose, both fascinating and carried too far. But I've noticed little mention, on any lists, of the thousands(?) of pieces of RR equipment that by now have become historic relics, sitting in junk yards, RR maintenance yards, and similar resting places. Some are on trucks, some off; some are clearly junk; some have fallen flag lettering; some are restorable, many are not. With each passing year, these move towards the junk end of scale in their condition. There may be a few locomotive hulks here and there, but probably not many.

A ride on the NE Corridor alone is an exhibition of a number of these cars. Modern yards operating as a carryover from steam days often seem to have at least one(?).

Is there any interest in these from the preservation or "documentation" points of view? Is anyone tracking it? Are there groups trying to obtain this stuff for exhibition, operation, or cosmetic restoration? Are the RRs open to donating or selling some of it? I'm curious not because of any expertise or specific goals, but rather as a historian and fan who doesn't want to see relics disintegrate to become sources of iron for the subterraneans.

Paul Garwig

=================================================
> There was a post about several steam
> locomotives that were almost buried (UP618,
> CRI&P938, and AT&SF5030). Did this
> actually happen to any steamers. I've heard
> of steam locomotives at the bottom of
> rivers.

> I don't expect to find an NYC J-3 Hudson
> under the turntable at Harmon, but does
> anyone here know of any possible candidates
> that could be exhumed at least for display.

pgarwig@lycos.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:46 pm 

You must be thinking of the Baltimore Boxcar Museum at Amtrak NEC's Union Jct. [North end of Baltimore Penn Station] There was a more complete boxcar museum near 30th Street Philadelphia. The Philly one was scrapped when it got in the way of some project but Baltimore moved most of theirs. PRR used them for stores, and I suppose Amtrak still does; could be the same stuff is in them after 30+ years! Some museum should try to save this stuff when it becomes surplus, but let's not all jump up at once!

The Electric City Trolley Museum Association

Post subject: Buried colliery lokie in PA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:56 pm 

In 1999, workers digging in a culm bank in Cumbola, near Pottsville PA, found a colliery lokie buried in the bank. It appeared to be a Vulcan that was buried there in the 1930's after a boiler explosion. John W. Rich Jr., president of Reading Anthracite Co., has volunteered to restore the locomotive.

Here's the story from the Pottsville Republican: http://141.151.104.206/archives/2001/Ju ... 79314A.htm

The Electric City Trolley Museum Association

Post subject: Cataloging The Forgotten
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:22 pm 

Paul,

I have been working on cataloging abandoned railroad artifacts for nearly 2 years. Its slow going because I have to rely on information sent to me to add to the list. So far I don't have nearly as much listed as I would have hoped. Originally I had planned on just focusing on abandoned, sunk, buried steam engines, but that started growing as I pretty much got most of the known ones in US listed. So I opened the site up to just about everything railroad related, rolling stock, depots, etc.. Slowly things have been picking up but I get dead periods where I don't recieve much information.

One day hopefully my site will be a good source for information on this subject. I'm working on it atleast ;)

-=Andrew=-

RumorWeb
abrandon@foothill.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:42 pm 

For those of us interested in Traction a very good start for information can be be found at the site below. Hats off to ERHA! Check it out and make sure you contribute.

http://www.erha.org/coop.htm
lamontdc@adelphia.net

Post subject: Re: Gary, Indiana *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:17 am 

Is this on the list ?

lamontdc@adelphia.net

Post subject: Re: Gary, Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:18 am 

> Is this on the list ?
try again with a link instead

http://eje.railfan.net/photos_bg/bg20.html
lamontdc@adelphia.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:52 pm 

DM&IR #1330, ex EJ&E #765, is in my database, Conrad's directory, and on Wes Barris' website. It is only one of a whole host of forlone park engines, slowly rusting while waiting for a new home.

What would make it special in regards to it's present state from other engines?

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:36 pm 

Paul,
I have been researching lost locomotives since 1986 when Locomotive and Railway Preservation Magazine first came out.Over the years I have collected quite a bit of data on this subject,and I can tell you there are dozens of real(not rumored) lost locomotives in North America alone.If you add in the as yet unproven,but highly probable rumors,the total jumps to well over a hundred.And of course if you add the unprovable rumors,(such as a Pennsy T1 hidden in a steel mill somewhere)the tally may go well over 500 locos.
My intrest in this subject stems from the chase.Finding a good lost loco story is the high light of my day.The recent threads on buried engines are great starting points for further digging(pun intended).My research in the past few years has slowed way down because I had moved six times in two years chasing railroad jobs.I'm pretty well settled now,and have at long last taken my research materials out of the storage boxes.
Now my question to myself is "What am I going to do with all this stuff?"I've thought(dreamed?)of writing a book or two on the subject.It may be easier to co-author a book with someone who likes this subject as much as me.Perhaps Andrew Brandon for instance.He has done a top notch job listing all the data sent to him on his website Rumorweb.I tip my cap to him for all he has done to aid reserchers on this facinating subject.
I have a lost locomotive artical ready to go for the readers of RyPN,but I'm short on photos,maps or diagrams that it really needs.I'm working on it,so stay tuned.

Brian

RyPN Timetable
bhebert@rypn.org

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:08 pm 

> The loco was restored to service.
> other rumors of buried PRR steamers
> scrap or operation.

Party pooper.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:40 am 

Isn't this the NKP 624? One interesting bit of info in this locomotive, aside from the IRM having made several attempts to rescue it is that the tender is really NKP 587's original tender. The 587 had been retired first, and the 624's tender developed a problem with the stoker and instead of repairing it, they just swapped them. That is why the 587 now has such a relatively large tender and the folks who operate her are quite happy with the switch.

Steve

> DM&IR #1330, ex EJ&E #765, is in my
> database, Conrad's directory, and on Wes
> Barris' website. It is only one of a whole
> host of forlone park engines, slowly rusting
> while waiting for a new home.

> What would make it special in regards to
> it's present state from other engines?

> -James Hefner
> Hebrews 10:20a

sacarlso@scj.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:28 pm 

> Isn't this the NKP 624?

The 765 is located in Gary, and the 624 is located in Hammond.

Lake Central Rail Tours
ra1508vh@cs.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next