It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Porter Throttle Question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:50 am 

For the boilermakers in the group. We are re-tubing the Railroad Museum of Long Island’s Porter 0-4-0, and have come across something unique in our combined experience. The throttle, stand pipe, and elbow to the dry pipe are all a single casting with no obvious way to remove them from the boiler. My theory is that the elbow is threaded onto the rear end of the dry pipe, and is removed by disconnecting the plumbing in the smokebox and rotating the dry pipe, thereby unscrewing it from the elbow.

Has anyone here dealt with this construction before? Any ideas?

View through the dome hole.

Zoomed in on the elbow to dry pipe area.

Last edited by Kelly Anderson on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Porter Throttle Question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:36 pm 

Kelly, I'll look at the throttle from our NG Porter #17 [ex United Fruit, Bananera Guatemala] tomorrow. In prep for someday a new boiler, we torched the side off the dome and removed the throttle several years ago. The details now escape me. The throttle casting seems huge for a 22 Ton engine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:43 am 

Kelly, I have seen a couple of boilers where the throttle standpipe/elbow were attached to the dry pipe with a stud through the elbow and a nut that had to be removed by running a socket in through a washout plug hole in the back head. I can't tell from the photo if that is how this one is put together or not.

Russ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:53 am 

This is how the throttle valve is attached to the dry pipe on the J&L 58. Looks a little different than your setup. This is from c/n 7245 built in 1938.

Attachments:
5799_throttle valve.jpg
5799_throttle valve.jpg [ 138.64 KiB | Viewed 8923 times ]

Last edited by Rick Rowlands on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:54 am 

Maybe ask Stathi, he has had his Porter("The Chiggen") all apart.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:28 am 

Yep, that's what we have here. The nut was hidden from view under the pivot and bell crank. Getting to it will be the next magical trick, due to the dome being close to 3' tall, more fun.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:36 pm 

Hopefully you can get to it as Russ suggested above. Of course, you may have to use every 3/4" drive extension in the shop and buy a couple more to reach it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:02 am 

There should be a washout plug in the back head that lines up perfectly with this stud. If the nut comes loose fairly easily, getting it off should not be too much of a problem. Getting the nut started again might be a bit of a trick shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:29 am 

I can't tell if this is in or outside the boiler, but thinking how the large pipe is mounted, theres an exterior mount connection, then theres this bolt running thru the pipe to hold to a threaded mount inside the pipe which would have to be "holed" that lets steam thru while securing the pipe.

your trying to remove this pipe? Thats a wild arrangement of levers there.
I had this crazy thought if you can't get it out, throw a fire in it let it cook some heat for a bit. Unless you can localize some heat around it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:01 am 

...and the winner of the tallest one piece throttle and standpipe award goes to...

Turns out there is a washout hole in the backhead as predicted. All that was needed was a home made eight foot long extension (I'm not exaggerating), and out it came.

Another interesting sight was the stud after the stand pipe was removed. Split and twisted longitudinally, and without much force on the wrench, I assume that it is wrought iron.

Thanks again to all who provided photos and drawings of how Porter put them together.

Last edited by Kelly Anderson on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:20 am 

that may be one short of one break to failure. Its good thats caught. Check the holding threads. Because of mountings it would not fall right off tho but if the engine is in forward/reverse uncontrolled steam is passing thru. Because of the photo I thought it was bigger. Congrats on getting it out. The 765 tender pin wasnt so easy (thud) hehe rusto....