It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interchange Crash Update
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 1998 7:48 am 

The file that was corrupted and which caused the Interchange discussion board to crash was backed up by my web host provider (Netcom), but they won't give it to me. Apparently, Netcom backs up their servers for their own purposes but not to cover "customer mistakes."<p>They said it was not possible to search for individual files as it would take days or weeks to find them. Although, in general, I have been very pleased with Netcom, I am not happy with this turn of events.<p>Hence, although the messages are still posted in the data file (you can go view them at http://www.rypn.org/Interchange/data) the file that lists the messages and links to them is gone.<p>I keep the RyPN website backed up (only for archival purposes however), but did not back up the guest book or the Interchange discussion board. Frankly, I didn't think it was necessary as I thought I could get back up files restored from Netcom should the need arise. Live and learn.<p>So, from now on I will back up the entire site, at least once a week, and apologize for being remiss in this regard. There were some good threads there and I'm sorry they're, for all practical purposes, lost.

Railway Preservation News
hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Interchange Crash Update
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 1998 2:09 pm 

Don't sweat it - interesting and provacative threads will reappear, the rest will die. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net