It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roll Call two bay open top hopper cars
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
robertjohndavis wrote:
Les,

I think that is Rutland #764, the former DL&W car on the list, though I had it as being in Syracuse.

Rob

Rob -

It this IS a Rutland car, sure has to be one of the few cars from that line still surviving.

Les

Les,

There were a couple more of these hoppers until recently. Jim Dufour maintained a surviving Rutland list for many list. Thanks to Steamtown, Strasburg and the Green Mountain quite a few relics survived much later than they "should" have.

What shocks me to no end is the amount of Rutland passenger stock left... only about half of it belongs to railroads or museums... the rest is in private hands.

Add in the handful of surviving RS-1's and you could have a fully authentic 5-6 car Rutland passenger train. Time is catching up, however.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:31 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
nictd1000 wrote:
Here's a shot of the two Milwaukee Road hoppers on the Dakota Southern.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8854749@N03/5557286149/

And a shot of three D&H ballast hoppers converted from 2 bay cars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48094458@N ... otostream/

nictd1000 -

The 3 ex-D&H cars on the bridge at Concord, NH that have been modified with ballast doors are interesting. The photographer asked the questions; why are the cars there? To that I add are they still there, or at least still around? If so, who owns them these days?

Les

Those hoppers would have been removed when the line was opened for the season in the spring, 2009. I believe NEGS runs an inspection trip on the state owned line before serving any of the few customers. I haven't seen the hoppers since, not that I've looked very hard, and there are very few sidings for them to sit. I should add that I don't know they were MoW cars and I didn't note the reporting marks. -The photographer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:53 pm 

oliva732000 wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
nictd1000 wrote:
Here's a shot of the two Milwaukee Road hoppers on the Dakota Southern.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8854749@N03/5557286149/

And a shot of three D&H ballast hoppers converted from 2 bay cars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48094458@N ... otostream/

nictd1000 -

The 3 ex-D&H cars on the bridge at Concord, NH that have been modified with ballast doors are interesting. The photographer asked the questions; why are the cars there? To that I add are they still there, or at least still around? If so, who owns them these days?

Les

Those hoppers would have been removed when the line was opened for the season in the spring, 2009. I believe NEGS runs an inspection trip on the state owned line before serving any of the few customers. I haven't seen the hoppers since, not that I've looked very hard, and there are very few sidings for them to sit. I should add that I don't know they were MoW cars and I didn't note the reporting marks. -The photographer

Oliva732000 -

The important thing is that you took the photo! The ballast car doors (replacing the hopper doors) almost certainly mean that they were in MofW service. Maybe someone else knows for sure, that they still survive.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
nictd1000 wrote:

And a LV hopper that's been covered.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1748965

nictd1000 -

Finally, LV #30006 is a neat car but is it owned by Steamtown, or the railroad? If Steamtown, even if in ballast service, a paint and lettering job would be nice. BTW, the DL&W covered hopper is a neat car in its own right. Take both of these cars at our museum in a minute!

Les

I got a nice note today from a gentleman at Steamtown who advised me that LV 30006, and the DL&W covered hopper, are not part of their collection. He thought that they were owned by Delaware-Lackawanna, or that the shortline is storing them for someone.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:37 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
nictd1000 wrote:

And a LV hopper that's been covered.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1748965

nictd1000 -

Finally, LV #30006 is a neat car but is it owned by Steamtown, or the railroad? If Steamtown, even if in ballast service, a paint and lettering job would be nice. BTW, the DL&W covered hopper is a neat car in its own right. Take both of these cars at our museum in a minute!

Les

I got a nice note today from a gentleman at Steamtown who advised me that LV 30006, and the DL&W covered hopper, are not part of their collection. He thought that they were owned by Delaware-Lackawanna, or that the shortline is storing them for someone.

Les

Well, I have done some checking and find out that this hopper car presently at Scranton, PA is, according to their website, actually owned by the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society (as is the DL&W covered hopper). RCT&HS however, says that the car is LV 90006 and not 30006. This is part of a rather small list of non-Reading equipment that the Society owns. So, one more small mystery solved!

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

Les[/quote]

Les[/quote]

Well, I have done some checking and find out that this hopper car presently at Scranton, PA is, according to their website, actually owned by the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society (as is the DL&W covered hopper). RCT&HS however, says that the car is LV 90006 and not 30006. This is part of a rather small list of non-Reading equipment that the Society owns. So, one more small mystery solved!

Les[/quote]

I got an e-mail today from David J. Monte Verde of the GVT Rail System advising me that both of these cars are part of the GVT/DL collection of old freight cars. I have corrected the List to reflect this ownership.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:25 pm 

Brian Norden wrote:
True hopper or not, Orange Empire has and uses a Union Pacific ballast hopper that dates from the 1920s. UP #85727 was built by Pullman-Standard back in 1926. It's 82 years old and still moving and spreading ballast.

It got a good paint job about 20 years ago and now it looks like a working car. Wish I had a photo I could link.

Brian -

Dean Levin recently sent me a photo of this car. It looks like it COULD have originally been a two bay hopper car that the U.P. converted into a ballast car. But maybe it was built that way. If a conversion, I would add it to the list. Maybe Dean can post that photo here on RyPN. Then perhaps someone who has a better knowledge of Union Pacific freight equipment can advise if indeed, the car started out as a 2-bay open top car with regular hopper doors.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 pm 

Les.. and the forum

here is the UP hopper at OERM.. .Photograph taken about two weeks ago

Dean Levin

Attachments:
UPHOPPER.jpg
UPHOPPER.jpg [ 41.09 KiB | Viewed 39651 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 am 

PLATFORMCAR wrote:
Les.. and the forum

here is the UP hopper at OERM.. .Photograph taken about two weeks ago

Dean Levin

Thanks Dean! So....anyone know if this car originally had hopper car doors, or was it built as a ballast car?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 pm 

westward wrote:
Nevada Northern at East Ely, NV has 3 or 4 2 bay hoppers built by Pressed Steel
these have lower sides than coal hoppers, these were designed for base metal ore hauling.

City of Prineville RR in Oregon has 2 of the same style ore hoppers. These two were former Nevada Copper Belt cars. CoP used them as ballast cars.

Don

Don -

Thanks for the info. I found this photo of what is described as City of Prineville #1:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2332784

Note the arch bar trucks! Also, COP #2 is just in the right edge of the photo, although I can't see a number on either of the two cars. Finally, these photos date back to 2004. Hopefully the cars are still there.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 pm 

Les and all,

In my recent travels to Deshler, Ohio i used Hwy 24 from outside Ft Wayne. There's a semi abandoned line that parallels the hwy. I few miles west of Defiance, theres a short string of hoppers/covered hoppers on what looks like a passing siding, visible from the highway. One of the cars towards the center looked to be a 2 bay open hopper but as I passed at 65 mph, i didnt get a great look at it. Mayeb someone could google map it so someone else can check it out?

Ryan

Edit: looking at a map, it appears the cars were nearer to the Town? of Cecil, Ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:15 am 

Ryan -

Thanks for the info on the car near Cecil, Ohio. Be interesting to know if it really IS a 2-bay car.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It doesn't show up on Google Street View, but it DOES show up on Bing Maps "Bird's Eye View"--former Wabash Ft. Wayne-Toledo line, east of Cecil immediately east of the brand-new Rt. 24 overpass of the line, the second car from the east end of the cut of covered hoppers.

Whatever line this is has/had a LOT of cars stored on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:16 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Thanks for the info on the car near Cecil, Ohio. Be interesting to know if it really IS a 2-bay car.

Les and all,

It is a 2-bay car! I photogrpahed it last March when I drove from Ft. Wayne to Defiance, OH. I saw the car on the way to Defiance, and on the way back stopped off to photograph it and a 3 bay hopper coupled to it. Photos of both cars are attached. Note that both cars still have Indiana Hi-Rail reporting remarks. At the time I photographed them, they were on the east end of a string of 2 bay covered hopper cars being stored on the main line.

The line is a former Wabash line that was later part of the Indiana Hi-Rail network. Now named the Maumee & Western, it is strictly a car storage out fit, with various cars stored on the mainline. The track condition looked atrocious, as I remembered seeing a string of auto racks that were "waiving" from side to side, while sitting still.

Attachments:
3 Bay Hopper.JPG
3 Bay Hopper.JPG [ 73.22 KiB | Viewed 39330 times ]
2 Bay Hopper.JPG
2 Bay Hopper.JPG [ 160.77 KiB | Viewed 39330 times ]

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 pm 

David -

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the IHRC car number is 990, although I guess it could be 900 or even 930. I wonder who currently owns the car?

Les

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next