It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roll Call two bay open top hopper cars
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:10 am 

o anderson wrote:
Maybe I am seeing things, but look on page 8 of the current Trains magazine. To my eyes I see 8 gray Pullman 2-bay hoppers scattered around the yard of the Birmingham Southern. It would be worth seeing what they have in any regards. The article says they just changed owners, and they also have a small fleet of ex-Missabe ore cars. Those in and of themselves are harder and harder to find.

Olin - I'll have to check the current issue of TRAINS. That is interesting.

nictd1000 - Yes, Canada counts. Thanks for the info on the N&W two bay hopper at NCTM, the number on the D&H car, the ex-C&O car at Shoaf (is that the good side?) and the MA&PA (ex-WM cars). With all this additional info, maybe someone will type out a new summary. Rob, you there?

Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:09 am 

Here's some additional surviving 2 bay hoppers that I didn't see mentioned yet:

Nevada State RR Museum in Carson City, NV has Nevada Northern #409, xM&StL, xxClinchfield built 1907.

Nevada Northern at East Ely, NV has 3 or 4 2 bay hoppers built by Pressed Steel
these have lower sides than coal hoppers, these were designed for base metal ore hauling.

City of Prineville RR in Oregon has 2 of the same style ore hoppers. These two were former
Nevada Copper Belt cars. CoP used them as ballast cars.

A very similar car from the Butte Anaconda & Pacific is on display in Butte, Montana.

In Anaconda, Montana are two additional cars on display, both significantly modified, one now has a solid bottom.

Another former BA&P 2 bay now sits on 3'gauge trucks at Antonito, Colo. on the C&TS
one of these had been used on the Georgetown Loop RR, is this the same car ?

other notes:

The Sydney & Lowe RR in Nebraska had an xCB&Q 2 bay with a snow plow mounted on one end in the 1990's. Is it still there ?

Also in the 1990's the Montana Rail Link had a couple of xNP cars converted for sand service (like the The Northern Pacific Railway Museum's recently acquired NP 207412) I'm not sure
if these are still around.

The Alaska RR car in Wasilla (mentioned in an earlier post) was originally Saxman Coal & Coke Co. from Penna/WVa.

Don

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 am 

Hi Les,

I am following along... thinking this requires a spreadsheet now.

I was in St. Louis last week and wanted to follow up on some hoppers at the steel mill in Granite City, IL but had no time.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 am 

I might be missing it, but I didn't see mention of the Sumpter Valley's hoppers, nor the Cumbres & Toltec hoppers that were purchased from the EBT. I don't have any other information other than I think the SV has six.

What will be done with the listing? Could it be made available to the public?

Josh B.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 am 

There are three more ex-M&StL hopper cars along the abandoned mainline of the Nevada Northern at the Cherry Creek siding.

I don't know how accurate this list is, but here is the EBT roster with preservation notes:
http://www.spikesys.com/EBT/roster.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 pm 

I will share the updated list as soon as I update it. ;-)

I am only tracking two-bay hoppers built for std ga. service in North America.

Narrow ga., mine cars, coal gondolas and 3-or-more-bay cars are awaiting someone else's list. ;-)

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 pm 

The Coopersville & Marne railroad in Michigan is supposed to have ex Erie 2 bay hopper on the roster as well, but I haven't been able to find a photo of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm 

nictd1000 wrote:
The Coopersville & Marne railroad in Michigan is supposed to have ex Erie 2 bay hopper on the roster as well, but I haven't been able to find a photo of it.

That's interesting. I'll see what I can find out.

Also, I tried to find out some info on the various Nevada cars listed above (with no luck) but DID manage to find a photo of another car in Boulder City, Nevada:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2243473

The faded Minneapolis & St. Louis lettering can still be seen. The M&StL car number (303) may not be correct though, as per another photo I found:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=334688

The number on this car (63537) is quite a bit different than the 303 on the car there in Boulder City. Might this 303 be a number from the Nevada Northern, assuming that this car also came from the NN. One other interesting thing about car #63537 is the lettering CHICAGO showing through the paint on the car. It appears that the car came to the "Louie" second hand, but from what railroad?

Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 pm 

Nevada Northern hopper cars:

Ballast cars NN 400, NN 402 and NN 403 sit in the East Ely yard. From the looks of them they were from the original Nevada Consolidated Copper Company operations. In addition there is NCCC 036.
I photographed the three ex-M&StL cars in Cherry Creek in 2009. Unfortunately I did not get the numbers. Here is a picture that was taken in rather bad lighting:

Just to prove that they are M&StL:

Josh B.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:36 pm 

Thanks for the photos Josh. Great to see "EM and SAINT EL" stuff surviving. And twin bay coal hoppers to boot!

Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 pm 

Hmm, if we can keep this up, and save all these cars, we'll have enough to run that "plandampf" coal drag Mr. Glueck suggested some time ago, with authentic cars and enough weight to give a Class A or an Allegheny a workout. . .:-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 am 

Robert John Davis Wrote:

Quote:
Narrow ga., mine cars, coal gondolas and 3-or-more-bay cars are awaiting someone else's list. ;-)

And, as anything is easy to the person who doesn't have to do the work, I say fair enough.

However, while diesel-era cars are still somewhat plentiful, 3 and 4 bay, 70 ton hoppers contemporary to the two bay ones--say, for argument's sake, pre-1955 or so--are also a rarity. As a general rule they are the technological contemporaries of their two-bay, 50-55 ton brethren, and equally representative of the same era for the lines that owned them. I've always celebrated quietly whenever I have heard that one has made it into preservation.

I can think of only two of the PRR's 1910-1930 era 4-bay cars. I believe one is in Strasburg. One of the historical societies in New York state owns one too. I want to say I have seen another, but don't know where.

N&W's H-3s, which were a bit later than the PRR cars but formed a significant portion of the fleet, are a distinct rarity. I would guess there are a few still out there, but I only know of this one:http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=459481 If my memory serves me, there might be one at the museum in Roanoke too. I'll bet Gary Gray would know.

Lehigh Valley and C&NW also rostered fleets of 1920s-ish vintage, 4-bay cars. Anyone know of any of them out there?

Offset-side cars are more plentiful, but only comparatively so. I've seen some in museums here and there, maybe 8 or 10. A B&O 3-bay car in Pennsylvania was offered to a group that I used to work with, but the group could not accept it for financial reasons. I do not know what became of it. I know of no 4-bay, offset side cars. Maybe there are a few.

Awhile back there was a short thread on here about some ex-P&LE 3-bay, 70 ton cars going to scrap on the W&LE. These were mostly, or perhaps all, members the late 1950s-early 1960s vintage generation of cars that replaced the two-bay and early 3&4 bay cars, but were of similar proportions to the earlier cars. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30249&p=148700&hilit=P%26LE+Hoppers+Scrapping+Hoppers#p148700

Don't know if any made it. There's the D&M car in Ann Arbor, which is much like the P&LE cars mentioned in the thread. Cars from this same generation are far more plentiful than those of the generation they replaced, and are mostly from the all-diesel era.

The early 70 ton cars might be worth considering if one were to expand his list from "two-bay hoppers" to the more general "steam-era hoppers". If you decide not to, of course, I understand. Perhaps I should start teaching myself the art of the internet-friendly spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 am 

SCL 160835, Hocking Valley Scenic RR (Ohio)
http://www.trainweb.org/hvsry/SCL%20160 ... Roster.jpg

GN 74735, Medford Railroad Park (Oregon)
http://soc-nrhs.org/rrpark/hopper.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:36 am 

FLO wrote:
SCL 160835, Hocking Valley Scenic RR (Ohio)
http://www.trainweb.org/hvsry/SCL%20160 ... Roster.jpg

GN 74735, Medford Railroad Park (Oregon)
http://soc-nrhs.org/rrpark/hopper.htm

FLO -

Although the capacity of SCL 160835 seems larger than the 50/55 ton cars I believe we were thinking of during this long running thread, I think the two bays would mean it qualifies for inclusion. The old GN 74735 (what an interesting car!) being an ORE car, would mean that it would not. MY interpretation.

As for David A. Vago's request for older 3 bay and 4 bay open top hopper cars to be included, I would say that they need a separate thread. We have a 3 bay N&W coal hopper at HVRM, and it would go in that thread. In fact, if David would start such a thread, I would add the info on that car to it. Again, strictly MY thought.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 am 

nictd1000 wrote:

I got a nice e-mail message from Mr. Bruce D. Quinn of the C&M who tells me that yes, they do have an Erie 2 bay hopper car that they use to spread ballast. The car came to them as a covered hopper but "most of the cover has been removed". I don't exactly know if that means that the car is actually a covered hopper rather than an open top hopper, or if it is an open top hopper with a cover later added by the railroad (similar to the Northern Pacific cars covered earlier in this thread). Also, Mr. Quinn did not mention if it had coal hopper type doors. Mr. Quinn says that the car is Erie #31804, and I am hoping that someone here on RyPN might be able to tell from that number as to whether this is originally an open top hopper or not.

Les

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next