It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: backward running and wheel wear
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:18 pm 

without the benefit of a guiding wheel under the cab in x-x-0 locomotives, does this lead to excessive rear driving wheel wear when backing long distances?

Who has experience in this area?

Thanks.

JimLundquist55@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: backward running and wheel wear
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:08 pm 

> without the benefit of a guiding wheel under
> the cab in x-x-0 locomotives, does this lead
> to excessive rear driving wheel wear when
> backing long distances?

> Who has experience in this area?

> Thanks.

The Georgetown Loop does half of its running in reverse and while the Shays are pretty much bi-directional, our 2-8-0's do notice. The ride is rougher, the #4 flanges do wear faster, and the lateral on the #4 axle wears faster running in reverse. We have installed in-track flange greasers that have cut way down on the flange wear, both on locomotives and train, but the other issues are just a fact of life when running in reverse with no trailing truck. I have heard, however, that locomotives with a trailing truck don't necessarily do well in reverse either as the trailing truck is not designed to lead the locomotive so it doesn't guide the locomotive as well as a lead truck would.

Phil Johnson

phil@georgetownloop.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:28 pm 

Phil -

unless it's a locomotive made to run both ways (2-8-2-T) that would be true, I'd guess. The question of a small length of sharp curves into the shop vs. longer, more gentle curves on the main is the nature of my question.

Would we be gaining much by tearing up the yard trackage to reduce the sharp curves or would we still have the same problems dues to the 7.5 miles of backward running each run?

JimLundquist55@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:50 pm 

Jim,
I don't think I'd tear up your yard track just for that. You're right that most of your consequences from running in reverse will be at speed on the mainline, not poking around in the yard at low speed. A little flange lubrication on your worst curve should do the trick.

Phil Johnson

phil@georgetownloop.com

Post subject: thanks Phil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:11 pm 

that's the kind of opinions I'm seeking. Other's having comments, please post them here.

JimLundquist55@yahoo.com