It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cass to Durbin Line is Upon Us
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:00 pm 

Freshly posted by Cass today is the progress of the now ongoing installation of the pieces to the final obstacle in completing the Cass to Durbin line. They are moving steadily and unless something catastrophic happens, the line will be complete this winter. After talking with Cass’s staff and mechanical team, their future plans include:

Infrastructure:
- Adding a turntable near the Cass Depot to add turning capability at Cass
- Possible addition to the workshop in the future (distant project)

Locomotives:
- The Heisler 6 will immediately return to Cass upon completion of the bridge
- Currently waiting on the boiler for BC&G 4 for it’s restoration
- Some restoration work will begin on the 2-truck Climax while waiting for the boiler for #4
- Once BC&G 4 and Climax 3 are complete, Shay 3, 7, and 10 are being considered for restoration. The preference currently leans towards Shay 7.

Interesting to note as well, Shay 3, 7, and 10 (ex-Brimstone) are all considered to be in good enough shape to consider for restoration. If funding and time were to allow, Cass shop crew have mentioned they have the parts from the Graham County Shay and other sources to actually restore all 3 of those ShaysThere is also talk (from railfans, not officially from Cass) of restoring one of the two West Virginia Northern 2-8-0s as a backup to #4 or for use between Elkins-Durbin-Cass (I wasn’t aware Elkins connected to either place). #9 seems to be considered the better of the two WVN locomotives. Lots of cool stuff going on!

https://www.facebook.com/24243607982451 ... eFBo3QDJIy

Post subject: Re: Cass to Durbin Line is Upon Us
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:05 pm 

Their eventual long term goal is to connect Durbin to the old Western Maryland line at Elk River Junction so they can do circle trips from Elkins to Spruce to Cass to Durbin to Elk River Junction and back to Elkins. It would utilize several different train sets. One proposal was to rip up the old Western Maryland mainline southwest of Old Spruce, as it goes nowhere, and relay that track from Elk River Junction to Durbin to save on costs. If I remember correctly, it’s pretty heavy welded rail. If I were them, I would go after a Russian decapod and do it up as a Western Maryland locomotive. They’ll need the extra power for that terrain. Pretty neat they will get Durbin reconnected with they outside world.

Last edited by ekrwy2 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:16 pm 

Very exciting! If they do plan to do a full round trip out of Elkins, I think their 3 2-8-0s would be sufficient, provided that the WVN #8 isn't too damaged for an economical restoration. I'd imagine one 2-8-0 could potentially do the full run as long as it could fuel and water up along the way. It would depend how well they handle any grades given their small size. I believe BC&G #4 is solely planned for the Cass to Durbin runs.

I've also been told Cass's next 3 priorities are the BC&G #4, Moore-Kepel #3, and the Cass Shay #7. I do wonder what they have planned for the little 2-truck since it would be significantly less powerful compared to everything else. Perhaps a half-run out of Durbin? I guess we'll see. The Shay #7 is in very good shape. Most of the components were removed, "rust-proofed", and stored. The boiler (or parts of it) are stored and are also in good shape. The reason that Shy #7 is preferred over #3 (ex-Agnew) and #10 (ex-Brimstone) is condition and history with Cass. Out of the 3, 7, and 10, 7 is the only one to have actually run at Cass. It's also arguably in the best shape of the 3. The ex-Agnew (Cass #3) isn't in bad shape, but it needs some substantial boiler work from what I've been told. The ex-Brimstone (Cass #10) is also in good shape boiler-wise, but the drive line is in poor condition, meaning it would need some major work. Most of the parts are also available for it, if the funding and time ever becomes open.

Essentially, any steamer at Cass is considered "restorable" by Cass excluding the ex-Graham County shay, which is already gutted for most of its parts, which is where any spares for the running shays come from and it will serve as a parts donor for #7. I'd imagine by the time the BC&G #4, 2-truck Climax and Shay #7 are done, they'll be into the project of connecting Elkins and Durbin, so they'll want one or both of the WVN 2-8-0s running and those will take priority. I don't see the 3 or 10 realistically ever being restored. They'd have 6 Shays if #7 was restored, 2 climaxes, 1 Heisler, and possibly 3 2-8-0s. Between maintaining that fleet with routine work and 1,472s, I don't see them ever squeezing in time or money for 3 and 10. I'll personally be surprised if we ever see both WVN locomotives run. That's all speculation of course.

Last edited by smbtrain on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:12 pm 

Does anyone know where they got a turntable, or its length?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:25 pm 

I don’t believe they have acquired a turntable. That’s something I was also told they want to look into.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:30 pm 

Correct, or at least as far as I know.

I see smb’s point, but I disagree. Cass has enormous potential. There’s no reason they theoretically couldn’t restore those other 3 Shays, the two WVNs and 2-truck Climax. If they really wanted to, even the Graham Shay could be restored. We’ll never see all of the locomotives running at once, I think 8 is the best we’ll get.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:57 pm 

Ron Goldfeder wrote:
Does anyone know where they got a turntable, or its length?

The turntable was acquired several years ago from Knox & Kane.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:22 pm 

From what I remember from the one time I saw them, the two Preston Railroad 2-8-0's are pretty small locomotives. When the Preston RR shut down in the early 1960's, only one was in service, with the other being the parts supply. Both of them were pretty used up, I was told by an ICC inspector around that time. They aren't going to be able to cope with the grades on the former WM, for sure. Even No. 4 will be somewhat limited on the WVN.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:24 pm 

But is the track between Durbin and Cass essentially ready for a 2-8-0? Looking at some of the photos from a photo charter along the line last May, they're fine for a Heisler or Shay - but a rod engine? Will further work need to be done to allow that sort of operation? I'd imagine so, but I'm no expert...

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/771170/
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/774202/

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:30 pm 

Quote:
I'd imagine by the time the BC&G #4, 2-truck Climax and Shay #7 are done, they'll be into the project of connecting Elkins and Durbin.

Is there a map reference for the Elkins-Durbin connection?

Thank you!

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:02 pm 

wesp wrote:
Quote:
I'd imagine by the time the BC&G #4, 2-truck Climax and Shay #7 are done, they'll be into the project of connecting Elkins and Durbin.

Thank you!

Wesley

Isn't much of the line to elk junction now a rail trail?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:32 pm 

scratchyX1 wrote:
wesp wrote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Wesley

From Durbin the the junction on Shavers Fork, the track has been long gone. West Fork Trail is on most of it from Durbin up through Glady. That would be an immense project and with a WAG at, say, $2mil/mile, an immense amount of moola.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:10 am 

scratchyX1 wrote:
wesp wrote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Wesley

Yes, there's simply not a chance of Durbin to Elk Junction ever being turned back into a railroad IMHO. It's no Virginia Creeper, but it's a popular trail and has stretches of it used by WV's "long trail" the Allegheny Trail (about 330mi long, from the AT on the VA border up past Rowlesburg to the PA border).

Especially after having spent the better part of a decade restoring Cass-Durbin, I don't see DGVR and the state even considering taking on restoring the 30mi connection. There's just not much more that route can offer that the others don't already. How long would it take JUST to rehabilitate the tunnel and bridge necessary to connect to the current DGVR mainline along the Shavers Fork?

This is the same state that is ripping out the old B&O into Gassaway to form a new rail-trail state park as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:35 am 

While I agree with a lot of other people that reconnecting Durbin with Elkins via Elk River Junction is a pipe dream, like I said, one of the ideas was to take up the track southwest of Old Spruce and move all that rail to connect Elk River Junction and Durbin. Now that would save on money, but it would still be an immense undertaking and very expensive. They were hoping to do Durbin to Cass over 20 years ago. You see how long that took to do. While I wish them the best of luck, I don’t think I will see that project done before I pass. And I’m only 43 years old. Of course we did see a big boy restored in our lifetime so never say never.

Last edited by ekrwy2 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:32 am 

It is kinda fun to think about, though….