It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 76
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 1998 9:01 pm 

Gettysburg RR 2-8-0 #76 was loaded on a highway rig on 7-27 and departed the Gettysburg area for Coshocton, Ohio. It must take a circuitous route through Maryland and West Virginia due to excessive height and weight. The trucker said they should arrive in Ohio on Thursday.<br>

Post subject: Re: 76
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 1998 4:08 am 

Does anyone know what the OC's plans are for #76? If I remember correctly #76 was more or less operational at the time of #1278's boiler explosion.<p>Best Regards,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

jrobinson@dataram .com

Post subject: 1278 did not explode Re: 76
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 1998 2:52 am 

Hi,<p>I don't know why this misinformation still irks me.<p>#1278 suffered a crownsheet failure, she did *not* explode. Boiler explosions are the top of the serious accident list, crownsheet failures are a rung or two down. <p>Don't get me wrong, a crownsheet failure can lauch a boiler and shred it simultaneuosly, but that did not happen in this case, thank the Lord.<p>Given the effort Hume and Bob put into this site, we should address the facts in our posts as clearly as they do in thier articles. So noted. No explosion.<p>Rob Davis<br><br>

Post subject: Re: 1278 did not explode
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 1998 5:59 am 

Rob,<p>Point taken. You are correct about this being a crownsheet failure vs. being an explosion. It seems everyone (including often the railfan press) refers to this incident as the "Gettysburg explosion", so I guess I fell into the trap! <p>Best Regards<br>Jim Robinson<br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: Re: 1278 did not explode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 1998 9:44 am 

Crown sheet failures usually result in launching the boiler. I haven't heard of anything else that will cause this. Seams don't split and tube sheets don't come lose. The only thing that kept this boiler from launching and being called an explosion is the fact that the construction was of Canadian practice. This alone caused a controlled crownsheet failure and kept the boiler on the frame. Semantics, Crown sheet failures are in fact boiler exposions.<br>