It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verde Canyon RR "covered bridge"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Okay, in both the latest Kalmbach Tourist Trains book AND on several verbatim online descriptions, the Verde Canyon RR train in Arizona is described thus:

Quote:
Year-round, passengers enjoy crossing S.O.B. Canyon trestle, passing through a covered bridge at Perkinsville, and seeing daylight diminish as the train passes through a 680-foot, man made tunnel

Now, I've been into covered bridges almost as long as I've been into railroads, and I've been to perhaps half the authentic ones in the nation. I've even been credited with the "discovery" of one in remote Crown King, Arizona (a newly-built driveway bridge over a gutter).

What the heck is the Verde Canyon talking about here? Do they think a through-truss steel span is a "covered bridge," or did they throw some plywood over it over the winter?

Post subject: Re: Verde Canyon RR "covered bridge"?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:53 am 

Consider that the person that wrote the spot to be put into the book problably does not have much railroad background. Covered bridge to them is a through truss to us.

I've seen mistakes like this made more and more by "for profit" operations whos employees are just that...employees...not historians or railroad people.

I have ridden the Verde Canyon...no covered bridges....absolutely beautiful ride though.

Post subject: Re: Verde Canyon RR "covered bridge"?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
junior wrote:
Consider that the person that wrote the spot to be put into the book problably does not have much railroad background. Covered bridge to them is a through truss to us.

Erm..... as one of the writers who was solicited by Kalmbach's editors to contribute, I say "think again". The list of contributors at the beginning of the new edition reads like a "who's who" of this field--I see nine names I see on these forums on a semi-regular basis............

Even so, the fact that the exact same words show up verbatim in several Verde Canyon promotions elsewhere online tells me someone just "copied and pasted" VCRR promotional fluff.............