It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: U.S. Navy No. 3 0-6-0T Vulcan Lewes, DE
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:58 pm 

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=313

What is the status of this locomotive? Says stored, near Near Lewes, DE.

Apparently it ran when Tom Gears snapped the photo.

Post subject: Re: U.S. Navy No. 3 0-6-0T Vulcan Lewes, DE
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:21 pm 

She was a lot of fun to fire. Indeed she was running then and did so for a few seasons. She is now part of The Royal Zephyr restaurant in Ocean View, DE. It's a dinner train that does not go any where. Too bad as she was a great little engine with a like new boiler that could have given years of good service. You can find her here online:

http://www.royalzephyr.com/

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:23 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It's on display at a restaurant in nearby Ocean View, Delaware--a restaurant owned by the owner of the loco and some of the rolling stock that operated on the dinner train out of Lewes (some of which is in use at the restaurant as dining space--don't fret, no wholesale "butchery" that I could see).

The loco is, for all practical purposes, operable (pending paperwork issues, maybe new flues, etc.). The owner is in no hurry to do anything with it, but last I spoke with him, would at least entertain motions that would result in her operating, but wants a minimum of an "equivalent" display loco in trade, along with cash. He's apparently also sick of frivolous "time-waster" inquiries about the loco, so unless you happen to really, REALLY need THAT loco and have a viable trading candidate, don't get your hopes up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:29 am 

I can't help but wonder since I read somewhere that Wanamaker Kempton & Southern has thought about fresh locomotive power if perhaps they could trade their 0-4-0T number 2 plus some funds for the engine. It sure is a shame to see an operational steam locomotive sitting unused since they just aren't that easy to come by.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:25 am 

Imagine my surprise when we came upon this engine while vacationing in Delaware. While it's upsetting to see it sitting in such good condition, it's promising to observe that it appears very well taken care of and tastefully decorated for the restraunt.

I rode the Queen Anne's RR in the final year that the railroad trips ran, but it seemed the No. 3 had been sitting for quite a while at that time. Apparently the following year it was trucked out to Ocean View. Does anyone know how long the engine's been out of service?

Tom - do you happen to have a bit more detailed info on what's been worked on / what needs worked on?

As it turns out, it's difficult to talk 7 college buddies into losing a half-hour of beach time to let me check out a steam locomotive!

TB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:30 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:
It sure is a shame to see an operational steam locomotive sitting unused since they just aren't that easy to come by.

I assure you that the owner told me almost the precise same words. Unfortunately, though, he has a LOT of money tied up in that loco. It's like the antique car owner that spends $50,000 to fix up a car that ends up with an auction value of $25,000.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:20 pm 

#3 is probably one of the nicest displayed engines anywhere. Any rail museum would be very proud of this display. The ex New Haven Coaches are now the dining area. They are displayed in a very nicely done terminal setting with engine #3 facing the highway. Keep in mind that it is miles to the nearest railroad. There was never an active railroad near Ocean View, Delaware. (Just a very small handful of miles from Bethany Beach)

The display employs misters to mimick steam at the cyliners. There is an excellent sound system employed to add to the setting. I'm not in to posting pictures here, but I will be glad to email them them to somebody.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV
Quote:
I assure you that the owner told me almost the precise same words. Unfortunately, though, he has a LOT of money tied up in that loco. It's like the antique car owner that spends $50,000 to fix up a car that ends up with an auction value of $25,000.

See also: "Cost of preservation" thread.....

Wesley

Post subject: Value: Personal, Elusive and Unrelated to Money Spent
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:33 pm 

In 1776, The great Scottish moral and political philosopher and father of modern economics Adam Smith published a book An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations popularly known simply as "The Wealth of Nations".

In the book, Smith identified two sources of value, value in use and value in trade.

For his example of value in use he chose water, which he said was invaluable in use but valueless in trade (OK, this was before public water and Evian).

For his example of use in trade-he selected diamonds, which were useless except in trade (this was of course before it was discovered that the diamond's place of Moh's scale of hardness made it tremendously useful in industrial cutting and polishing.)

In buying a steam engine, one must treat it as water-it satifies an emotional thirst-but with no guarantee of fetching a price after use.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:09 pm 

Does anyone know which NYNH&H coaches those are at the restaurant? The one that is shown closest to the locomotive in their menu welcome page looks to be an ex-8600 (stainless fluting over Corten Steel body, by Pullman) they say the other is an American Car & Foundry built one.

Thanks,

Rich Cizik
MoW Foreman
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:22 pm 

When "Queen Anne's RR" was operational, they supposedly had an N&W combine car also. Anyone know what happened to it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:26 pm 

I think I read somewhere that the other cars went down on the Eastern Shore RR. If not to the railroad itself to private owners who stored them there. Don't hold this as 100 percent as I can't remember all of the details.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:31 pm 

At W&W & QARR when I work on her she was a fine machine. She had solid running gear, a firebox with a lot of meat, nice staybolts, new jacketing, and a nice sharp, square exhaust. She was running on tube extansions from the Navy during her W&W days but was retubed at QARR. We replaced her air tank and replaced much of her piping at W&W including adding a signal line. She was a lot of fun and at least she is stored well and could end up being pulled out and run 20 years from now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:38 pm 

Tom Parkins wrote:
#3 is probably one of the nicest displayed engines anywhere. I'm not in to posting pictures here, but I will be glad to email them them to somebody. Tom

Tom, please check your PM box.

Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 am 

While investigating a possible visit to this engine/restaurant this summer, ran across this reference that the restaurant is under new management as of the 2008 season:

http://www.bethanyrestaurants.com/restaurant.html?rest_id=44

Guess that really doesn't mean the ownership of the locomotive has changed...

Bob