It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surviving Tenders
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 pm 

''Speaking of IC 2600 class tenders, for a number of years there were two in Freeport, Illinois with a number of other pieces of preserved railroad equipment. I think they were from engines 2612 and 2614, but maybe one was from the 2611. A number of pieces of the rail equipment located there were eventually sent elsewhere (including items to Monticello, IL, Colfax, WI and Monon, IN) but I don't know if the two tenders were saved or not. Maybe they are still there. Anyone know? Les'' [/quote]

It's been a while.
Just revisiting an old subject.
Anyone know the current status of these two tenders,
or any new news on surviving tenders not mentioned before?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 pm 

ctjacks wrote:
To answer two of the questions above:

1. The 261's aux tender was acquired from NS after they shut the steam program down. I think it was ex-ACL - can anyone confirm?

2. The 1225's aux tender came from (I think) a IC 2600-class engine. Could that be one of the tenders mentioned above?

Chris.

Actually, 1225's A-tank is from a Rock Island 4-8-4.
"A former Rock Island Railroad 5000-series 4-8-4 steam locomotive tender, it was converted to an oil storage car an auxiliary water car for use behind 1225 on longer excursions. It has an approximate water capacity of 30,000 gallons."

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 pm 

The two IC tenders in Rockford were cut up in late winter. No one wanted them and they had to vacate the property. The crane that was there was also scrapped.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:40 pm 

Sadly, the two IC tenders (2612 and 2614) were scrapped just a few months ago. The land they sat on was being remediated and the landlord ordered them removed, but no one was able to come up with the money required to move them, though it wasn't for lack of trying...

It is my understanding that the stoker motors were saved, however.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:45 pm 

Are there any parts for the vanderbilt tenders abailable? Specifically lighting and the umbilical to the cab.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:31 am 

As of 2008 there was a B&O Big 6 Vanderbuilt tender located on tracks near one of the entrances to highway tunnels. Even unpainted it was a beauty to behold. Anyone know who owns it, have photos of it? I nearly drove off the road when I spied it. We should by it and replace the missing half...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The tender in Baltimore near the I-95 Fort McHenry Tunnel is a former C&O Vanderbilt tender. As I recall, it had originally been saved "by" the B&O Museum by virtue of being on the master list of historic artifacts and resources on CSX to be "set aside" for the Museum drawn up years ago.

It has been sitting back here and there on various sidings in that stretch of Locust Point Yard for almost a decade now, and sports the reporting marks "RPCX 545", which leads one to conclude that it may have been allocated for another project or destination at some point. It has shared tracks at various times with passenger cars that have been scrapped, bad-order cars, and burned-out hulks from the Howard Street Tunnel fire under Baltimore in July 2001.

Plainly visible on Bing and Google Maps. Find Andre Street, look at the crossing between I-95 and Fort Avenue, look to the east between I-95 and the tank car yard.

If you legitimately want it badly enough, I'm sure arrangements could be made. Inexperienced guys showing up with a dolly and tow truck need not apply, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:45 pm 

RDG 179 wrote:
What about the western states?
Any ex- Santa Fe, SP, UP, WP, Milwaukee, NP GN, etc . . . ?
I spotted two tenders at Mineral, WA. I have photos of both of them somewhere but here’s the one I had uploaded of former Chehalis Western 215, the 6-axle Canadian National tender (no idea what locomotive it was from) was coupled to it, and was still in that spot in June for the NRHS convention trips.
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/sh ... ld/cat/500
They're property of the Mt Rainier RR so there's little chance they'll be scrapped anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:50 am 

The Museum of Transportation near St Louis has two of these tenders. One is a former Rock Island "loaf of bread" type, converted in the mid-1920s from a Vanderbilt tender and then converted again into a wedge snow plow in 1957. It came to the museum marked for its last owner, as Cotton Belt MW 95589. It was first on Rock Island 2-8-2 #2572, built by Baldwin in 1913. As a plow it had its water tank filled with rock and then water with the hatch then welded shut. The plow replaced the fuel supply area. The old 2-8-2 number was found on the rear of the tank when being repainted. The second is Great Northern #2100, a Vanderbilt type from Baldwin in 1923 that was reused as a 15,000 gallon water car after its locomotive had been scrapped. The second is on the museum's deaccession list so if anyone needs it speak up now before it is scrapped. It has been on offer to a new home for over a year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 pm 

A photo of the aux tender that is sitting with B&LE 643 from about 3 years ago
you can make out the "L&N" under the paint

Tim

Attachments:
643 aux tender-e.jpg
643 aux tender-e.jpg [ 294.79 KiB | Viewed 13183 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 pm 

tc-cvs wrote:

Tim

That's an ex L&N "Big Emma" tender. The L&N retained most of these tenders when they sent the locomotives to scrap. They actually cut the cab overhangs off of the locmotives and sent them back to back, coupled by the former tender draw bars, to the scrappers.

Some had their coal bunkers removed and turned into diesel fuel tenders, like this one. Others kept their coal bunkers and were put into work service. The one owed by VMT that is currently on loan to the NKP 765 people was one that retained its coal bunker into preservation.

There are quite a few of these former L&N 2-8-4 tenders around these days. For example, I believe Milwaukee 261's Aux is one, the aforementioned VMT one, NKP 765 has one, I think Indiana Museum of Transportation has one. Mr. Rowland can correct me, but I think his one, numbered 614-A is also of L&N heritage. In addition, SERM in Duluth, GA has an intact one, and so does KRM, from number 1984, still in faded L&N steam era paint.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
tc-cvs wrote:

Tim

That's an ex L&N "Big Emma" tender. SERM in Duluth, GA has an intact one, and so does KRM, from number 1984, still in faded L&N steam era paint.

David -

Like my friend Paul used to say, they saved the wrong end of the engine!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:10 am 

Les I was always amazed at the care the L&N took to replicate the curved top of the tender when they converted some to fuel tenders.

I can see why they looked so good behind 611 and 1218. The curved top makes them look "N&Wish"

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 pm 

Ron Goldfeder wrote:
The second is on the museum's deaccession list so if anyone needs it speak up now before it is scrapped. It has been on offer to a new home for over a year.

Do you have more information regarding this tender?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:13 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
Les I was always amazed at the care the L&N took to replicate the curved top of the tender when they converted some to fuel tenders.

I can see why they looked so good behind 611 and 1218. The curved top makes them look "N&Wish"

There's a good reason they looked "N&W-ish". IIRC, the Trains article on the Big Emmas (MANY years ago) mentioned that the specification documents for these locomotives actually referenced some N&W tender drawings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next